a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

16/2 and 16/3 confusion?

Started by rsahlender, November 01, 2010, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsahlender

I did not see a reference to this in older posts so hope I am not repeating something that has already been discussed...

As best I can tell from what I have read in this forum and on the web the 1988 I bought a week ago is a 16/2 as it has the bowsprit and 7/8 rigging but shoal keel only. The previous owners tell me the sails are original and curiously the mainsail says 16/3... I thought the 16/3 included a centerboard... so I am confused...

Can someone clarify for me? Thanks.

RichS

Salty19

No, the centerboard was only an optional feature on the III's, not standard.  Most did not choose the centerboard option when building new.  The only 16 guaranteed to have a centerboard is the CP16CB model.  I don't know how many where made but it's a small number.  The CP16XL model (after the III) also does not include the CB as standard, but some XL's were made with the centerboard.

I'll take a guess that your sail is either not original, the sailmaker messed up, or perhaps you have the last of the version II and they already told the sailmaker to use III logos.

In the end, be happy that you don't have a problematic centerboard!  One of the main reasons why I considered the boat in the first place, the boards tend to cause leaks and grounding can cause damage. Been there, done that.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

rsahlender

Oh I am happy to not have a problematic centerboard. I am just trying to figure out if I refer to this one as a 16/2 or a 16/3. Maybe how the teak is used in the cabin is the key?

I guess I could just call it a 16+, or maybe a 16/2-or-3, or maybe even a 16/not-a-1-or-a-CB-or-a-XL... <grin>

rsahlender

Thanks NateD. I found  the first link you list earlier but it was not much help at determining any difference between the IIs and IIIs. I had not seen the second link until your post... it is very helpful. I seem to have a III after all... thanks!