a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Difficulty with Plastimo furler

Started by fried fish, November 03, 2010, 10:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fried fish

Hey this is Captain Fred of our 1984 Compac 23, "Go Be Do" down in Southport, NC. I am frustrated with the Plastimo jib furler. It is original equipment. It fastens to masthead and encompasses the forestay. The sail is fed into a slot of rigid furler and hoisted with jib halyard. The problem is when unfurling the jib there is ridiculous tension making it difficult to unfurl. It furls back up with ease when storing. Any ideas what is causing this tension? Am I doing something wrong???

BobK

Is this tension just as you start to unfurl or the entire time the jib is coming out?

Bob23

Hey Capt Fred and welcome to the wild, wacky world of Compac sailors.
   Is the line being fed into the drum at approximately a right angle? On my CDI furler, I had a similair problem thoug not as severe. When I re-routed the line to eliminate and drag and directed into the drum at a right angle to said drum, it smoothed things out real nice. I don't know if the Plastimo has bearings that could wear out but I'd check the lines first.
   Just my two cents...but there's plenty more where that came from!
Bob23

Greene

Quote from: Bob23 on November 03, 2010, 07:08:29 PM
  Just my two cents...but there's plenty more where that came from!
Bob23

Gee Bob, at $.02 per post (1545) we already owe you $30.90.  

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

That's kind, Mike but I'm afraid some of them might have been worth much less. I'm hoping someone in the future will print out all my posts and publish them in a book with a catch title such as "Thoughts from the Rambling mind of an old Sailor". All proceeds will go towards the costs of this site.
In the meantime, please send my check for $30.90. Work's a bit slow.
Bob23

fried fish

Hey guys,
The furler is difficult all the way of unfurling, and it does pass thru the feeder at a gentle angle, not a 90 degree. The excessive tension seems equal the whole time going out. Any thoughts?
-fred-

BobK

Try releasing back staya little bit to see if there is too much tension in the furler.

BobK