a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hat suggestions (ie. can of worms)

Started by Pat McL, April 17, 2011, 11:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McL

Went out today (good! sailing day) here in Eustis, FL. Sun was way too much and I, wearing a bill cap and sun glasses,  now look like a scorched raccoon. Can't wait to shave tomorrow AM. I know that I may open a can of worms, but here goes anyhow --- what do you like for head gear???  (uh, Bob23, all suggestions involving a pin wheel ---well, never mind)
            Thanks, Pat

crazycarl

i like the breezer hats.  the top is solid and the sides are mesh.  the 3" brim gives the most protection. 
(ie: ears and back of neck)  the 2" brim is easier to wear while driving.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Shawn

Tilley has a variety of different hat styles/materials that offer good sun protection. They have dual headbands to be sure they stay on in the wind too. I have a TH4.

Shawn

Salty19

Got one of the these a couple of years ago. Like it!  Keeps the sun off you, adjustable, breathes, and a handy clip for attachment to your shirt.

Columbia Schooner Cachalot Hat:

They also have a Bora Bora Cachalot that looks good.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

curtisv

I tan so I go with sunscreen and sunglasses early season and then just sunglasses later or early season I limit my time in the sun.

Actually I usually don't bother with the sunglasses either unless sailing toward the sun.

I like to look up at the masthead and the brim on a cap is in the way.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Billy

I have the same hat as Salty and I like it. But living n FL a Bimini is worth it's weight in gold!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

skip1930

A ' Tilley ' hat.

skip.

Bob23

Well, Pat, here goes:
   For me it's a Tilley and that's final. Sure, they are pricey but I was once lured into buying a look alike that was a little cheaper. First time in the drink and it shrunk beyond use. Next time, I pried my wallet open and bought the real deal. Here is a true Tilley story:
   After I'd had my Tilley for over 3 years, I lost it. Yeah, sometimes we all have brain farts and this one was a biggie. I search all over for it but, after a day's sail, I just put it down somewhere and never saw it again.
   Tilley has a great guarantee: If you loose it in the first 2 years, they will sell you another at half price. Or something like that. Anyway, I called the Tilley company and explained my heartbroken dilemna. Being honest, I told the very helpful girl that I most certainly owned the hat for much more than 3 years and, no, had no reciept. She asked if I had a photo of me wearing the hat. Huh? Well, yes, I probably did. She said that the photo was good enough and if I sent it, I could buy a new one at half price. That was a few years ago and my "new" Tilley is getting nice and worn like my old one. I will always deal with a company like that.
   The hat is very well made, and has a spf of 50, I think. It will float for a little while but they do caution that it will sink eventually. Mine has become an old friend like that old pair of jeans you had in high school. It quite simply is the best. http://www.tilley.com/default.aspx
Bob23

Shawn

Bob,

That is cool that they let you buy another at half price. They also have their wear out policy which is for life I believe.

"First time in the drink and it shrunk beyond use. "

Another plus for the Tilley's is when they get wet their brims stiffen up, they don't get floppy in the rain.

Shawn

Bob23

Shawn, you  speak the truth. They do have a lifetime wear-out guarantee but they do advise rinsing the hat if used in salt water.
I also like the dark green "underbrim". Keeps reflection down to a minimum. I love my Tilley so much I can't decide whether to be buried in it or pass it on to one of my heirs!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

I'm on my third Tilley - My son in law talked me out of my last one.  I bought an "Airflow" model this time - I love it.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Now we just need to talk Alex Tilley into making a commorative Tim Gardner Pirate edition Tilley hat! Just think of it: A pirate hat with spf 50! Even pirates don't want sunburn!
bob23

brackish

Hey you guys have convinced me.  My Tilley is on order to replace an old Columbia which I'm not really fond of.