News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C23 - kick-up rudder tightening handle ?

Started by hockeyfool, October 31, 2010, 11:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I bought my c23 with  missing hardware it seems'I have no handle to tighten or loosen the kick-up
rudder; that can be a real problem as mine  needs a socket and wrench to try to adjust as needed.
There has got be a handle with a locking  washer fabricated somewhere , yes ?

curtisv

Mine is in the permanently moderately loose position.  I have a bungie cord set up to hold down and a line with 2:1 tackle to raise it.

So I never use the lever.

This is an old photo showing the bungie.

The jamb cleat on the line that holds up the rudder pulled out so I later replaced that with a horn cleat and added a 2:1.  The bungie is about shot now and you've just reminded me that I need to replace it before it snaps.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Curtis:
   Does that bungee really hold the rudder down or does it try to come up a little due to water flow. That is an Idarudder, isn't it?
Bob23

Billy

Yea, what Bob said. I'm looking into getting a foil rudder, reall shallow round these parts run aground alot. Heard the IDA rudders float, and I would be afraid to tie it into the down position with anything tighter than a bunge.

How do you guys keep your rudders down (from floating) especially when making way?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Billy, it's not a problem. I have a wood foiled rudder blade which also floats. I use a piece of line as a downhaul and there is enough stretch for it to kick up when I touch bottom. I have it cleated to a small cam cleat above the rear seat so I can uncleat it in an instant.
Bob23

brackish

This is what is on my 23.  The rudder is a foil rudder that is being put on 23's at the factory these days.  The handle has a tab welded to it and it sits under a tab on the rudder post when fully down.  The shock cord strap will keep it in place unless you hit something and then it will pop out and the rudder can come up.  there is a second tab further down on the handle to lock it when it is lifted up, same shock cord holds it.  The rudder will only come up 90 degrees.  If the shock cord gets weak, it will allow the handle to slip out and allow the rudder to kick up about five degrees and you know it right away, weather helm increases dramatically. So I change the shock cord fairly regularly.

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on November 01, 2010, 05:16:41 AM
Curtis:
   Does that bungee really hold the rudder down or does it try to come up a little due to water flow. That is an Idarudder, isn't it?
Bob23

Bob,

It works fine.  Been sailing like that for years.  Its 1/4 inch bungee.  Not a lot of force but plenty to hold down the rudder.  This is an early Ida rudder.  It has a small hole in the front that is intended for a line.  I just used a bungie instead of a light line.

I've sailed with the rudder not quite down when the uphauler thingie snagged or I didn't tension the bungee and its real obvious that something is wrong when that happens.  After a while I just left the bungie tensioned.  It has its own small jamb cleat and an eye strap for for bitter end.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access