a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lubricating the blocks

Started by RCAN, October 22, 2010, 09:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCAN

Does anyone lubricate the rigging blocks. Do they need it or is it advisable? If so, what would you use?

Still getting the maintenance routine down.

Thanks!

newt

There is a spray you can use- but in reality I do not lube very often.

RCAN

Thanks Newt.

I probably would not lube very often either. However, since  I'm trying to get this old boat off on the right foot, I'd like to at least make her come to life once again. I have at hand WD-40 as well as silicon spray, both from Home Depot. Do you recommend either of these, of perhaps something specially made for this purpose from West Marine?

Thanks!

CaptRon28

My first choice would be "SailKote", made by "Team McLube". It's a clear water resistant high tech PTFE dry lubricant, available in spray cans and bottles / cans. You can buy it at West Marine or any other boating store. SailKote works well on blocks, slides, tracks, cars, bearings, etc. I would definitely not use WD-40 and silicone is questionable as well. WD-40 can stain lines or sails when it runs off, and will not work that well in a wet environment. There are other PTFE products on the market which probably work as well as SailKote - for example CRC's PTFE Dry Lubricant. Don't get it on your non-slip decking though - it will no longer be non-slip (you can scrub it off though).

I usually give all of the tracks and slides a good coating maybe twice a year. Blocks maybe once, but nearly all of mine have delrin ball bearings that can easily be flushed out with fresh water.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

newt

I think Ron has good advice. I wash out with clean water then apply PTFE. But I don't get crazy about it. Now what is in the icebox- That I get crazy about! And hey were are we going with the sails crossed like that!....

RCAN

You guys are great!

That's exactly what I had in mind, just getting into a once a year or so maintenance routine on certain items, as long as I have the right supplies.

Thanks!

Caboose

A rinse with the water hose after each sail works well in most cases. If you're putting her to bed for a long time (winter), I'd rinse, let dry, and then use some lube. Then read her a bedtime store, followed by a kiss on her bow.

newt

Great thread BTW. And pertinent topic. Grog to ya!

Bob23

As part of my fall put-away ritual, I rinse all lines in mild, soapy water, rinse in clear water, dry, label and put 'em away. All the blocks, boom vang, genoa cars and various slides get cleaned with WD and lubed with PB Blaster Lube. WD really isn't a great lubricant when all is said and done. I have a dry lubricant from Andersen Windows that works ok.
   The more thorough the fall put-away, the more fun the spring put-back is! And the sooner you're sailing again!
Bob23

Salty19

I do the same as Ron, I just rinse them off with soap/water while spinning the block, let dry and apply a shot of Sailkote (also nice from mast tracks).  I do this once a year (fall storage prep).  WD40 contains ingredients that will dissolve waxes and could potential weaken plastics so probably best to avoid it entirely.   It's not a great lubricator either.

If the block does not spin freely after washing and lubing, it will get pitched.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

curtisv

Most small boat blocks today are Torolon or Delrin ball or roller bearings.  Metal bearings haven't been used in small boat blocks for quite some time but a lot of Compacs have been around (and doing well) for quite some time.  Neither should require anything but cleaning and a lot of penetrating lubricants like WD-40 can damage these plastics.  I looked on the Schaefer web site http://schaeferhardware.com and their search did not find anything on "lubrication".  On the Harken web site http://www.harken.com the searches that turned up for "lubrication" were all "requires no lubrication" and included newer winches and roller furlers.  Blocks have required no lubrication for a long time.  Winches require lubrication except really new ones.  If the bearing is metal, lubricate it.  If it is plastic, just wash it.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access