a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Owner

Started by sawyer, February 25, 2005, 08:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyer

I have tried this more than once, so please bear with me if it posts more than this time. After about three years of research, I have finally jumped into the sailboat water, so to speak.  I am very fortunate to have located a 1987 Com-pac 16/2 about 100 miles from home here in West Michigan. Prior to driving in the yard where it was stored and somewhat snow covered I had never seen a Com-pac of any kind other than in pictures.
"Love at first sight" would be an understatement.  She does need a little work, but this freshwater boat is a keeper.  I have sailed before, but this will actually be my largest boat yet.  I like smaller lakes and trailerable boats so this one fits the bill.  I am currently shopping and looking for a new mainsail, reading back in other posts for info on lofts.  There is a great deal of information and knowledge on this site, and I thank everyone for the input I have read from behind the scenes over the past few years.  I would be pleased to have anyone with loft information reply to this post..........            Thanks........                               Doug

Seaweed

Welcome Aboard!  I too am a new Compac owner having bought a Sun Cat at the Strictly Sail Show in Chicago.  You, however, have an advantage on me as you have actually seen your boat.  Not only that but you live closer, most likely, to my boat than I do.  Mine is in storage in East Lansing.  I live in Champaign, IL.  I hope to be able to get the boat sometime in late April or early May.  I bought the boat from Great Lakes Sailboat Co, LC in East Lansing, and since they also sold an Eclipse to be based on the same lake as my boat we are making arrangements to bring both boats down at the same time and commision them on the same weekend.  We are looking foward to a good time.  

I hope you have a good time with your new boat and look foward to seeing you here often

Tom G. (Seaweed)

Craig

Doug,

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the family of CP 16 owners.  I have a 1980.

Is your mainsail in that bad of shape that it needs replacement? Sail Care, http://www.sailcare.com/ reconditions sails for a fraction of the cost of new. If you need a new sail try http://www.sailrite.com/
Very nice people. I see they have moved to Churubusco, IN (just north of Fort Wayne) from Columbia City, IN. They sell kits so if you can sew you can save, or I believe they can assemble the kit or put you in touch with someone who can. A quick google search will give a list of lofts and sailmakers. Com-Pac will sell you a new mainsail.

One thing to watch out for is that the P (or luff) measurement out on most sites is incorrect for the CP 16.  It is really 15.25 not 16.25. Measure it for yourself before you order anything or you will have the boom trying to decapitate you every time you tack.

Craig

Craig Weis

Hey Seaweed

I was also at the All Sailboat Show at Navy Pier, 2005. I have had a great time boring Rich Hutchins for the last three years at the Com-Pac display and have been relentless in pumping Rich for any and all types of info on Com-Pacs and other brands of boats. Boats that still fall into the 'micro crusers'. The Sun Cat is a great, safe and fun boat for one or two. [Every boat that Com-Pac brought to this show they sold].

The fellow who bought "my" boat brand new lost his wife just before he took delivery of the Com-pac 19 XL. This boat #588 sat in his barn from then till Aug of 2001. I was the first guy to put #588 in the water. I had heard that this fellow purchased a new Sun Cat [dark blue hull~sharp!] from Yacht Works in Sister Bay, Wisconsin. And he learned to solo sail it himself.  skip.

Ralph Erickson

Welcome, Doug!  I'm a relatively new owner myself.  Bought an '85 CP-16 last October and only had her out on the water once before the cold weather set in.  I fell in love with the looks of the boat myself, and that's partly why I bought her.  That and the stablilty of the boat!!!!  

Enjoy!

Ralph
CP 16
"Patricia Lee"
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

SAILING RULES

Hi all, I'm a new CP16/2 owner as well.....just had her delivered 4-3-05.  I found the boat in Sailboat Trader magazine here in Florida.  The seller had just advertised the boat a week ago and said he had someone coming over to look at it....LOL well I beat him to it...The owner of this boat had her for 6 years and absolutely loved it......he had recently broken his foot badly and his wife wanted the boat out of the driveway. This really is a cute boat....just looking at the lines suggests to me she'll sail real nice.  2 questions...Is there anything that can be done to lower the slightly raised interior "floor" section ( starts at the forward end of the berths and extends to the bow)....to have that area for more interior sitting room would be nice but as it is now there really isn't enough head room.....and 2...I'd like to get a shine on the hull....saw posts on Penetrol, 3M products, etc......which is best?  Well happy sailing folks...Capt Tom :)

Craig

I would not recommend removing the interior deck. You would gain little usable sitting room and would lose a place to put stuff. The curve of the hull is not going to allow a seat of any kind in that space. Let's face it, the CP 16 is a pup tent with keel. You are much better off rigging a bimini.

For good suggestions on what to do to the interior and exterior of a CP 16 buy Robert Burgess' book "Handbook of Trailer Sailing." There are two versions of the book out there. I believe the original is only available from Com-Pac, and the second addition can be had on Amazon. Bob participates regularly on the yahoo site.

Craig

SAILING RULES

Hey Craig, Thanks for your quick response...I think you are right about not having any place to put stuff...I've heard a lot about the book you mentioned....except for dinghies and a Sunfish this by far the smallest boat I have ever had. Ericson 27 for 6 years and a 37 Island Trader ketch for  two.....but not complaining!!! I love this boat; its really grown on me even the few days I've owned her......Funny you mention biminis...I found one off a motorboat in great shape but just have to modify its height and width to fit the cockpit.....Well thanks again for your info!  Happy Sailing Capt Tom :)

Craig

Tom,

The 16 is the biggest boat I've owned!  My first was a Cape Dory 14. There are times I think I want something larger, and maybe one of these days I'll buy an old CP 23 as a project boat. But with the price of gas rapidly approaching $2.50 per gallon I like that I can pull the 16 with my small pick-up and I burn all of two gallons of gas with the outboard all season. I don't pay slip fees and I don't spend a lot of time in set up and take down.  The 16 fits me just right.

Craig

Gil Weiss

Hi Craig,

I only burned two gallons of gas last season too. A great thing!!!

My roller furling jib is ready and I plan on bringing my boat home from winter storage next week. A May 6th launch is planned.

Craig

Gil,

My brother burns up as much gas warming up his powerboat and getting out into the lake as we do all season! I burned up the second gallon when I went overnighting a couple of times. It's handy to motor into some of those isolated coves in the evening after the wind dies.

I'm going to be in PA next weekend.  My oldest is looking at schools and we'll be visitng Drexel. YIKES - that's not tuition that's extortion! For us out of state folks our alma mater is no cheaper.

Craig

Windhawk

Welcome.  

I'm a new owner as well, I brought home a new CP23D from Clearwater last week (hull# 645).  I'm working with the dealer now (great Lakes Sailboat) to schedule the rigging & launch in Holland, MI next week.

bro t

I have to agree with the fuel economy -- made 2 1/2 gallons last May for the nice plastic tank which closes tight and stores in the lazarette.  More than half of that was used after pulling the boat in October, to cut firewood to length; talk about getting your money's worth out of one tank of outboard fuel!!!