Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ida rudder diminsions

Started by cj, October 03, 2010, 11:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj

Greetings all,
I really enjoy the site and your helpful Compac discussions. I am the proud owner of a 1986 Compac 19/II. She has been well cared for over the years, but not allot of improvements made (original sails are which are threadbare), however we want to sail her a bit more before we make any new sail  decisions.
I am however ready to purchase the complete system for the ida sailor rudder.  I am interested in the improved performance, but also raising the old rudder is impossible for me because I can't reach and disengage the release handle even hanging half way off the transom.
When I went on line to make the purchase, I found that I needed to provide several dimensions, a few of which I am unsure of:
1. when measuring for the  desired draft, have you ida owners just gone for the same draft as your old rudder? and from which point did you measure, the true waterline of the boat when she is sitting at the dock? or the painted waterline on the hull?
2. the angle of the transom: for the 1986 19/II the transom is slightly concave and does not appear to have any angle.

Does anyone have measurements from when they order their rudder, or will ida sailor be able to assist me with the measurements.

Thanks for your help
CJ

Salty19

You can just call IDA and speak to Joel.  They have made this before (I had one on my old 16) and should have dimensions.     There is a transom angle here and it's about 7 degrees or so.

Draft?  I would suggest 20-24".  This is from the waterline to the bottom of the rudder. I prefer to have the rudder hang down a wee bit so it will hit ground first, saving the keep and giving the skipper some time to react.   If you're in shallow water often, I would go with 20".

You'll love the setup...very easy to raise and lower, excellent performance, and rugged as they come.

Ask them if this has welded pins or bolts to mount it.  The one I had on my 16 had pins but the 19 version has bolts.  I highly prefer the bolts, much more solid feeling albeit a tad more difficult to remove/install (which for me is once a season).

Also you can customize the tiller height, length, etc.  Go out and do some measuring on the tiller height and provide Joel with a height you feel most comfortable with.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cj

Thanks Salty. I spoke with Joel and he was a tremendous help. I should have my rudder  in about 2 weeks!