Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A posting problem...

Started by Bob23, September 20, 2010, 05:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Hey, Gents:
   It seems that when I'm posting, and you know I can be a bit long-winded at times, when I get down to about 30 or so lines, it doesn't allow me to continue to scroll down but keeps jumping up to the last line. I don't seem to be experinecing any other computer problems.
   Is there a setting here at the site that I don't know about? I know that may seem ridiculous to some, that Capt Bob23 might not know something but there it is. Anyone have a clue? Or a tack?
Bob23

bmiller

I have the same problem, it's a real pain in the butt. Don't know why it happens.

Admins??????

Salty19

This is pretty common on forum software.  It's 99% chance it's not you.

To resolve, simply open up something like MS Word, wordpad, notepad or similar and type there.  You can go to "run" (over the start menu on most versions of windows) and in the blank type "notepad", then press enter (without quotes or comma).

Then when you're done typing the novel, copy and paste into a post.  Easy.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

brackish

I haven't experienced that.  Went back to my BEER 2010 post and that one was about 80 lines long, no problem.  Is it a new problem?  Wonder if HenryC has had a problem?  He often post articles or long stories.

newt

Hmmm- I will get back to you on this.

Greene

I experience the same issue.  I type in Word/Notepad and then paste it into the post.
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

CaptK

Dunno why it would do that. My guess is that it will be software related on your end, for some reason...

How about some background, from those of you seeing this issue:

What browser and version of that browser (look for 'About' in the Help menu) are you using, and also - what operating system?

If Windows, specify which - XP, Vista, or 7 - and the Service Pack version (in XP, right click on My Computer -> Properties -> General Tab will have that info, in Vista/7, click on Computer, then System Properties, IIRC, to see what SP you have).
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

CaptK

PS - In the meanwhile, use Salty19's (Karma pop 4 u! ;) ) suggestion for ease... And I would recommend that you use Notepad, *not* Wordpad or Word or etc...

Reason being that Notepad won't do anything funky, formatting-wise. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

newt

It could have been just a busy time on the net- we couldn't get much done last night due to all the stuff going down, or maybe the parameters on post length have been changed. Capt K will have to take a look- he is doing little things to this group all the time (which is why I always try to thank him)
Woops- looks like he was here while I was typing...
Thanks Capt- and grog to ya!

Bob23

Holy Canolli!
   I never expected such an outpouring of help! Thanks! I didn't have this problem originally...it started about 6-8 months ago...I'll try Salty's suggestion. I doubt Henry has this problem and I'm a bit envious that he can write such long posts. Maybe I have some kind of long-winded-prevention virus.
Again, gratzie, compagnos!
Bob23