a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bilge Trolls

Started by cavie, September 24, 2010, 11:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavie

My Suncat is infested with Bilge Trolls but I think I found the source of their entertainment. When I got home from rescuing her from the hills of Kentucky, the bilge was full of water. The PO thought he had stopped the problem. I found the front hatch dripping water but it was not coming from the gasket. It was coming from under the trim piece. When I removed the inside trim, it was holding water. The foam between the deck and the inner liner was wet. I went top side to remove the hatch. I was fully expecting tom have to use a hammer and chisel and destroy the hatch. I removed the screws and to my surprise the hatch lifted right up. The caulking was not attached to the plastic trim anywhere!!!! It was stuck to the boat hull but not to the plastic hatch. The water was going under the hatch and into the foam between the deck and the inner liner then down to the bilge. Port side window was also leaking so I bought new port gaskets. I'm sure the bilge trolls are board now and planing their next attack!!  Remove you inner trim and see if there is any moisture after a good rain or run a water hose over it for a while and see it it gets wet.

Potcake boy

Butch,

Nice to see you now own a Suncat - do you still have your Catamaran?  I did share that with my friend, but he wasn't impressed with the rig, although I assured him that we could transplant a vertical mast rig from another vessel.  Actually I think it would make a dandy Peace River/Charlotte Harbor cruiser with two 9.9 hp outboards, one on each hull.  The pictures looked like it has a comfy cabin and nice ventilation.

Ron
Punta Gorda
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

cavie

I was entertaining thoughts of installing a Horizon Cat rig on it and loosing the mizzen but decided that after spending about $4000.00 I would still have a sailboat I didn't like. NO TILLER!! It was just great for room and confort and being out of the sun but no tiller means you can't feel what the boat is doing. I removed the sail rig and was gonna keep her as a power boat but didn't have the room in the yard for two boats. Two much work to move one to get to the other. The catamaran is on the peace river as I type and will be going to MI on Monday morning.