a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Leaking Windows on Suncat

Started by Jim Peterfeso, August 29, 2010, 08:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Peterfeso

Has anyone repaired or replaced leaking windows on a Suncat?  Anytime there is significant rainfall, there is water in the cabin.  I have removed the interior walls of the cabin because of water damage.  I no longer keep the settee cushions in the cabin because they get all wet.  The windows seem to collect water and it then leaks between the glass and the gaskit that holds the screen.  I keep the windows moderately tight and the gasket seems intact.  I kept the boat covered for 3 years while I trailer sailed on weekends so I didn't have this problem.  Now I have the boat in a slip and uncovered so I can sail on weeknights. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim Peterfeso

cavie

I worked on that very problem this afternoon. Mine is a 2002. I removed the screens and gasket. PO has tried some sort of sealer. I removed all the sealer I could get off and cleaned up everything with Paint thinner. The gasket is designed to be held in place with automotive trim adhesive. (yellow monkey snot). I placed the screens in first then installed the gasket being carefull putting the adhesive only in the grove holding the gasket in place. I had a 99% sauces. Only two small drops after a 30 min downpour. I think I can fix that with a couple of thin shims glued to the latches to create more tention on the gasket. I also removed the top hatch. The factory sealer was not adhered to the plastic hatch. I did have to scrape it off the fiberglass. This was leaking under the hatch and not across the rubber gasket. This allowed water to enter between the hull and the inner liner and down to the bilge..

Craig Weis

R&R [remove and replace] with a heat gun and copious amounts of 3M-5200 slow set. Use a smear of Vaseline on the rubber parts. Look for the source of the leak elsewhere. You'll need heat to get the portals out of the dog house verticals.

skip.

Jim Peterfeso

cavie

Put on some vaseline per Skip and all is good. I poured water on the window last night and it was still there this morning

Craig Weis

When I drove around in my 21 window V.W. bus in high school, tons of Vaseline kept the rubber surrounds soft so all though holes would stay dry. So I applied the same technology on my boat.

skip.

cavie

Well, I just ckecked the windows after a 3" monsoon and 1 still leaks. Seems the vasaline didn't work. The gasket to glass is leaking. Any body have any ideas??

Tom Ray

cut some rubber mat in the exact shape of the gasket to make a shim to put behind the gasket.

cavie

I broke down and order two new ones. $20.00 ea. OUCH!!!!

Tom Ray

Quote from: cavie on September 07, 2010, 02:41:49 PM
I broke down and order two new ones. $20.00 ea. OUCH!!!!

Water NOT dripping slowly on your face: priceless! ;)