a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac 19 accent color

Started by hpetercoke, March 23, 2005, 11:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpetercoke

Hi, I just recently bought #398 :D It's in good shape, but don't think that brown accent stripe does anything for appearance.  What about repainting the stripe a different color?  Is that generally acceptable or does everyone else like that color?  I don't want to make it look like an odd duck, but do I need to just live with brown? What's the consensus out there?  :?
Peter

sawyer

I have CP-16 # 2433, a 1987 and have the 4" brown stripe just under the rub rail too, I have been giving some thought to changing it and will be looking for responses to this also.  I have always liked blue, but the wife likes green..........   Anybody have ideas???
Doug

Craig Weis

I saw a blue/marbled swirl type tape on a CP-? at Yacht Works in Sister Bay. It looked OK, I think my CP-19 is brown.

steve brown

I spoke to the folks at Hutchins not long ago and they sell a gold chrome tape that is 1/2" wide x 150' long. They also list a gold mylar arrow head and a gold mylar logo. My #93 CP-19 has this accent stripe. They said the old stripe is easily removed using a hair dryer and a tool that won't hurt the gel coat if I wanted to replace it. Their parts list also shows a TAPE 2ML PREM 2" x 150' ($69.52), but I am not sure what this is. I prefer the older gold stripe myself such as they are using on the cat boats. I believe you could order the 1/2" tape, arrows and logos from them for about $40.00 (August 2003 price list)  :wink: Steve

multimedia_smith

Mine had the BROWN faded stripe when I got it... one of the first changes.
I used "boot stripe" tape from West Marine (although I don't know why they call it that)  Anyway, I used wide blue and narrow black and then some more narrow black to go over my waterline stripe.... came out OK.
I even had a local sign co. make up new "ComPac" lettering for the ID and the name on the stearn.

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=341

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=308

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=277

Be sure to put it on slowly and rub it flat to prevent bubbles as you go.

Best Regards
Dale :D

Craig Weis

multimedia_smith

Very, very nice. Blk, Blue,Blk....makes an attractive combo.

When working with 'sticky' tapes and/or graphics at BLOOMINGTON/NORMAL, ILLINOIS' SuperSign Service in college 30 years ago or so, we would stir-up a mix of dish washing soap and warm water. Make a lot of bubbles. Then slather on [over a cleaned surface] an extraordinary amount of 'slipyness', apply the tape or graphics, right on top of this mix, floating to position like a decal, move into position and from middle-out...gently squeezy out this 'slipyness' untill pressed onto the surface. Here it would rest forever! This was done to a multiplusity of squad cars and firetrucks, and contractors rigs. Never failed.

skip.

multimedia_smith

Sounds like a neat trick... wish I'd known about it when I was doing mine... but that's what this forum is about... "that others may learn from our experience..."

The blue black blue was born of necessity... they only had one and two inch tape and it took that much width to cover the brown.... I do like it though... I worked up several colors... blue/red etc in Corel Draw over a photo of the boat to see what looked best before I actually did it though.
Best Regards
Dale

Craig Weis

MM-Smith,

Thank you. When Cetaling [sp] my wood on C&J I masked her up with this green and expensive tape for varnishing.

I'll be dog gone if that tape masking the bottom of the 'eye brow' at the top-O-cabin didn't look like the perfect color for the cabin with a contrasting hull color and non-skid areas it would have been breath taking...that is if I ever wanted to paint her gelcoat up. Which I don't.
skip.

MRA346

I have a 1988 CP-19, on which the previous owner (a former Com-Pac dealer) had his yard paint the stripe with navy blue imron paint.
I think it looks very good on the boat, and it does get a lot of compliments from other other Com-Pac owners.  I have blue canvas on the boat, and it compliments nicely.  The bootstripe is also blue.

Michael Carter
CP-19 "Slip Knot"

hpetercoke

Mike, do you have any photo's of the boat with that Navy Blue accent strip?  I still have not done anything with it.  My first thought was for a Navy Blue.   I have been re-doing the bright work which is starting to look pretty good.

Peter - Com-Pac 19 - #398

MRA346

I have a photo I took with my boat docked next to another CP-19 with the Brown stripe.  It's not real close up, but you can compare the two.
I'll have to figure out how to post a picture here on the site as I haven't done so before.

Michael

CP-19 "Slip Knot"

MRA346

I posted a photo taken at the Beaufort Docks (Beaufort, NC) a couple of weeks ago.  You can compare the blue stripes on my boat "Slip Knot" (right) with the factory stripes on my friends boat "Mary Grace" (left).
The picture is in the photo gallery for CP-19s, and is titled Beaufort NC Docks.

Michael Carter
CP-19 "Slip Knot"

tsaiapex

Michael, you caugt Mary Grace with unbuffed stripe!  

After the trip, I buffed the stripe again but did not notice great improvement.  It is time to learn boat painting...