a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NEW TO CATBOATS

Started by sjaffess, April 26, 2010, 04:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

Hi Everyone -  We are "SNOWBIRDS" so naturally,  I needed a sailboat in both locations. I have an O'Day 272 up in Cape Cod for the summer and decided to buy a 2002  Com-Pac Suncat Daysailor. I bought this boat down in Marco Island and trailed it back to Ocala (300 miles). The boat was spotless as if it just came out of the showroom.  Even the trailer was brand new. Quite a buy.  We are 2 miles from Lake Weir (south of Ocala).  The Suncat seems to be the ideal boat for this lake.  It hasn't been a great sailing season, but the last few 2 months have been great. I have always sailed full keel sloops so this Suncat is whole new thing. I would love to go out with someone in the Cape Cod area who has a Suncat. There seems to be  many fine points to sailing a Gaff Rigged Catboat that I would like to learn.  I would also like to see any modifications that other people have made.  My next problem is fitting the Suncat in My garage.  I was told to take the wheels off and use dollies to move the boat around.  That's next weeks project.  Happy to join the forum.                                                                                                                                                                                             Steve

newt

Welcome to the Forum Steve. I must admit that Snowbirding sounds like fun as I get older. Where is the best place in Florida to buy a home with ocean access? We were thinking up one of the rivers- St. Augustine looks like it has some fine property...

CaptRon28

Any of the towns on Charlotte Harbor would be perfect. Thats the west coast of Florida between Sarasota and Fort Myers. We're in Punta Gorda for about half of the year, NJ coast the rest. The Harbor is the 18th largest estuary in the US (about 16 miles long, 10 miles wide) which makes for a lot of great protected sailing, even when the weather is questionable. To get to the Gulf of Mexico and the rest of the world just sail through Boca Grande pass.

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

newt

I have sailed out of Burnt Harbor marina, but must admit it seemed a bit hotsy-totsy to me. I loved Venice, but I think I am looking for more than day sailing. Oh well, too much thread drift!

cavie

Burnt Store Marina is in fact "Hotzy-totzy" You need go a little farther north to Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte and meet the working class people. Venice is limited to the Gulf of Mexico.

Tom Ray

Quote from: sjaffess on April 26, 2010, 04:04:35 PM
Hi Everyone -  We are "SNOWBIRDS" so naturally,  I needed a sailboat in both locations. I have an O'Day 272 up in Cape Cod for the summer and decided to buy a 2002  Com-Pac Suncat Daysailor. I bought this boat down in Marco Island and trailed it back to Ocala (300 miles). The boat was spotless as if it just came out of the showroom.  Even the trailer was brand new. Quite a buy.  We are 2 miles from Lake Weir (south of Ocala).  The Suncat seems to be the ideal boat for this lake.  It hasn't been a great sailing season, but the last few 2 months have been great. I have always sailed full keel sloops so this Suncat is whole new thing. I would love to go out with someone in the Cape Cod area who has a Suncat. There seems to be  many fine points to sailing a Gaff Rigged Catboat that I would like to learn.  I would also like to see any modifications that other people have made.  My next problem is fitting the Suncat in My garage.  I was told to take the wheels off and use dollies to move the boat around.  That's next weeks project.  Happy to join the forum.                                                                                                                                                                                             Steve

There are a few ways to get it in the garage. One Daysailer owner simply trimmed a little arch into the header of his garage doorway to get the required clearance. That's the funniest solution. If it just barely won't fit, try removing the mast from the stub. Without the mast up top, you may be able to tilt the nose way up to get the gallows under, then way down to get the stub under. If that doesn't work, you might consider getting the factory "garage package" or doing a similar modification yourself.

If you have no plans for mid-November, I hope you'll attend the Sun Cat Nationals. We don't have a Daysailer version in the fleet yet.

Joseph

Hi,

To fit the boat in your garage you can also try contacting the Hutchins about refitting your boat with their "Garage Package" ("Mast stub and boom gallows are sleeved for easy removal, bringing height on trailer down to 6 feet"). I have it in my boat. In my opinion it is not practical for regular use but is great for storing the boat indoors and for free during the off-season (the price of the package pays for itself in only one Winter).

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

gray

Hi Steve,
I sail up on Lake Champlain in mid Vermont in a 2005 Suncat. Its not exactly next door to Cape Cod but you are welcome to come sail. It will be in the water until mid October. You can email me at gramille@tds.net
Graham