a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom tent construction progress

Started by chrisolavitch, August 16, 2010, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisolavitch

I had be toying with the idea of building a different kind of boom tent.  After a few weeks at the "drawing board" I came up with an idea.  As an old backpacker I wanted to borrow so ideas from backpack tents and incorporate them into a boom tent.  Here is a link to my current progress-I've still got some final trimming and clean up of the edges.  I'm no seamstress but I'm learning.  So far I've got 12 hours and 80 bucks in it.  I'm really excited about the potential.  My wife calls it the "Conestoga Com-pac".  

Here is a link to my Flickr site:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/anothertrucker/4896140052/.  

I'll be glad to share design ideas and techniques if anyone is interested.  I plan on using it at a 3 day sailing adventure at Lake Texoma in September.  

kahpho

It's coming along nicely. I'm impressed. If this is a first try at this, I very impressed. Are you going to have a door in the side or stern? Any windows? Just curious 'cause I would like to do something similar in the future.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

chrisolavitch

Yes this is my first try at sewing a boom tent.  I built a bicycle adventure trailer last year and sewed the skin for it and found I loved designing and sewing it up.  I plan on a velcro type door at the rear to open for ventilation.  No windows.  Thanks for the kind words.

Bob23

Love the bike. I thought it was a Rivendell until I looked closer. I ride (sometimes) an old Bridgestone RB-2 with Brookes saddle. Not really in the same class as your ride but back then I did more road riding until 2 separate drivers decided to occupy the same space as me and my bike. I discovered I didn't enjoy being hit by cars and trucks. Nowadays, I row sliding seat for exercise and sail my 23 for fun. I prefer to be on the water these days...safer here in NJ.
Bob23
(Boom tent is great...gives me some ideas for my 23)

payperboy

great design looks like a covered wagon on the water lol.