News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Black box behind switch panel-what is it?

Started by chrisolavitch, August 22, 2010, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisolavitch

On my 1976 Com-pac 16 there is a switch panel located in the center locker at the rear of the boat.  Behind the switch box is a small black box with an electrical cord coming out of it.  There is a brand name of Johnny Ray on the terminal ends that connect to the battery.  I think the part number on the black box is 336-H-I'm reading it backwards with a mirror and flashlight dropped into the hull.  Is this a battery charger?  If so does anyone know anything about it or direct me to a website with more info.  I installed a new marine battery and all lights and switches work.  I'm just puzzled by the "black box".  Thanks!

Bob23

DON'T TOUCH THAT BOX!!! I can't believe you have THE Johnny Ray aboard your CP 16! According to legend, Johnny Ray who was  from an obscure town in the mid-west invented the X-Ray back in the 1940's and stashed all his top secret information in a small black box with his name on it. After his arrest by the CIA, the box fell into enemy hands and was subsequently stolen by a unnamed pirate and placed on a small fiberglass sailboat for safe keeping. The dates are unclear and the whereabouts of the box was never known...until now.
   Or it could be a battery charger. 
Bob23

Wiggs

If I had to make a guess, I would go with the battery charger.

Wiggs

chrisolavitch

OK-that was officially the hardest I have laughed in YEARS!  Thanks for the clarification.  But I think I'll still buy a battery tender-since it's a little newer technology.  But i appreciate the story.  I guess I should now list the box on Ebay and get thousands of dollars for it! :)

Bob23

Some foreign governments will pay you substantially more...millions I'm sure. Heck, you'll make millions just with the movie rights!
Bob23