Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Teak Companionway Boards

Started by jamato323, February 28, 2010, 10:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Thanks, Curtis:
  Wish I had a place to store it. 3$ a board foot is unbelievable! Good thing he's not closer to me. There is a guy in South Jersey called, ironically, South Jersey Lumbermans. He's the local teak supplier for boat builders around here and his shop is a wonderful step back into the past. Huge sanders, band saws...almost as impressive as the old time clock on the wall.
  Next to his desk sits a shotgun. In asking him about it, he gave a slight grin and referred to it as his collections agency. I don't think he was kidding.
Bob23

Craig Weis

From a post dated:
Re: What is the purpose of the hull liner in the CP 19
? Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 14:30:02 ?

"[the drop boards I cut in half horizontial on a 45 degree so water won't drip in and allows great storage of the two halves and provides a lower or upper closeure to the hatch. With a boom tent this adds privacy but allows air to circulate around.]"

and this one as well.

Re: new locks for doors inside cabin
? Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:01:09 ?   

So you want to lock yourself in...? Hope you don't have to "ditti Mau" hastily as in a collision, fire, or some other disaster.

Why not simply use an inside hasp of similar size with through bolts and nuts on the sliding companionway and the loop would be duplicated as on the drop board.

By the way I cut my drop board in half [on a 45 deg to divert rain water].

I now have two boards, easier to store and I can have one in the bottom of the hatch way with top open for air, or I can hang just the upper with the bottom not in place to provide some shade, keeping the low sun out of the cabin but allowing some air in while I idle away inside the cabin. skip.[/
color]

brackish

Curtisv, if that deal were within a hundred miles or so of me, I would be the proud owner of every stick of that teak.

newt

Curtis- where do you live exactly? :)

curtisv

Quote from: newt on March 08, 2010, 07:00:05 PM
Curtis- where do you live exactly? :)

In multiple places, sort of.  Home right now is Cape Cod.  Before that CT.  We've owned the house on The Cape for 12 years and spent summers there.  My last job was in MA and The Cape was actually closer.  We just permanently moved when my son, youngest of two kids, graduated high school in 2008.  Since 2007 I've been working in Sunnyvale, CA and right now I'm in CA and my wife is On Cape.  She doesn't like CA.  Neither to I.  Its way too crowded and way too expensive and its nothing like New England.  I still haven't managed to sell my house in CT.  Gave up last year and just put it back on the market.  My wife's mother lives three houses away from our house in CT and her mother lives two towns away (amazing woman, still lives on her own and takes care of the house and large flower and vegatable gardens).  And my sister lives a few towns away.  So we still have family ties in CT, plus friends there (who don't mind visiting us at The Cape).

I also have an aunt near Bob23 in Lakewood so I find myself in that neighborhood occasionally (another remarkable woman, almost 100 and lives alone - one of her friends just turned 103).

So I spend about 1/2 my time now in CA even though my boss had promised it wouldn't be more than 1/4 of my time.  This past Fall he did agree to let me spend most of the months of April to beginning of September on the east coast in exchange for a lot of time in CA over the winter and early spring.  In the past few years going back and forth has made it very hard for me to maintain my CP and get out and sail.  Those spring months are needed for maintenance.  Some years I didn't launch until late August and I want to put an end to that and get out in early summer again and do more sailing.

In the last 20 years I've worked in Westchester County NY, Virginia, MA, and CA, but in reality mostly out of my home.  Most of the time living in CT but haven't worked for a CT company in over 20 years.  Telecommuting works, sort of.  Hence the name of my boat "Remote Access".

If its hard to figure out where I live, that's why.  Sometimes I'm not sure myself.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Curtis:
  When you find yourself in Lakewood, do give a holler if you want to sail! It would be wonderful to have company from another 23'er and I could always stand to learn more!
  I'll email you my mobile number.
Bob23

newt

I was asking because I have priced teak recently, and it is all between 20-30 dollars a board foot. i would buy that stash if I was you. You need financing? I will accept interest in teak boards...

curtisv

Quote from: newt on March 09, 2010, 11:25:27 AM
I was asking because I have priced teak recently, and it is all between 20-30 dollars a board foot. i would buy that stash if I was you. You need financing? I will accept interest in teak boards...

I go there every couple of years and they still seem to have the same rack in the back with plenty of teak on it.  The first time I went I bought more than I thought I'd ever need and then used it up and went back for a second load.  I haven't used that up.

At my old house in CT and at my house in MA I built some space to store lumber.  Next time I'm in CT if its low I'll try to find the time to swing by.  I didn't buy a ridiculous amount.  Its sort of hard to come home and tell my wife that I just got a great deal on the $500 worth of lumber sitting outside on the truck when it doesn't look like all that much.  If I came home with a few thousand worth of lumber I'd need to be doing a complete interior remodel and then some.  Would be a bit on the gold plated side for a Com-pac.

I don't know if someone ever came by and bought the rest.  Its not enough for a formal room teak floor and no one does teak floors anymore, and certainly not in the kids bedroom.

Teak was about $12/bd-ft when I bought it for $3.  I think it was $2.50 the first time I went.

Right now its $32/bd-ft at Rings End Lumber in Darian CT but they have 1x12, not just 1x4.  That is where I priced it at $12 when I got it for $3.  Prices at Rings End are usually pretty good.

Its a long drive from Utah.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

over40pirate

I have a Cal 20 in addition to my CP16. I made a new companionway "cover" from dark tinted plexiglass from a glass shop. It is 1/4" thick and was very easy to cut with a fine jigsaw blade. It works very well and gives a great view outside the cabin.  I am getting ready to do the same for the CP16. The only drawback is that it's 1 piece and a bit more cumbersome. But a nice bag to protect it works well. Just an alternative.
Mike