Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

positioning drop board latch

Started by texasnomad, July 17, 2010, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasnomad

Hello everyone,

I bought one of the cheaper drop boards from Hutchins last year, and I'm finally doing something with it.   I now have it shaved down to where the hatch will just barely slide over when the hatch is slightly lifted.   Now I'm trying to decide where to put the latch on the board.

Option #1
Attach it where it needs to go when drop board is all the way down.  The issue is that there is somewhat of  a small opening above the drop board next to the slides, though.

Option #2
Lift the drop board an inch or two pushing it up into the hatch further to get better closure up there, and then attach the latch.

Option #1 is the easiest and snuggist fit witht the maximum amount of overlap at the bottom of the companion way to help keep water out.  Option #2 would actually have the drop board suspended from the latch, which doesn't seem very robust.   I'm leaning toward Option #1.

How did the original drop board fit?  The one that came with my project cp16 is badly weathered and it definitely sort of hangs from the latch when it it closed.

I'm also considering treating it with Sikkens Cetol, since I'm not up to varnishing it.  Does this sound alright?

Thanks,

-DH

nies

Option #1 is the way it should fit , the small opening at the top is not a problem as only under the most extreme conditions does a small of water/rain get in, the hatch should just slide over the board ................Phil

Craig Weis

You have a latch on the drop board? Or a hasp that can be locked as per factory.
I just cut my drop board in to two pieces cut on a 45 deg to shed rain water and provide for better below deck storage of the two pieces. Additionally I can 'hang' the top piece from the hasp. Helps keep the sun out with the slider closed. Or just insert the lower piece without the upper for a tad more privacy but still enjoy ventilation.

skip.