a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing Magazine Article on the 23

Started by Windhawk, March 17, 2005, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windhawk

I just got my April issue of Sailing magazine, and it contains a "Used Boat Notebook" article on the CP23.  It's a fairly standard rendition of what's what about the boat, but it was cool to see.  

They were high in praise, and a bit low on prices.  One thing that I did learn is that only about 35 diesels have been built, which kinda' surprises me (out of 645).  They did note that the diesel will command a premium on price.

jaguaretype

There is a substantial premium for used and new 23 diesels, due to their scarcity, cost (currently $8495 from Hutchins), and desireability (durability, better boat balance due to diesel just above bilge location, less fuel volatility, more reliable ignition system, etc.).  Jay 1990 23 D #512

Windhawk

Oh yeah, if you can swing it the diesels a must-have item.  BTW, I just exchanged a couple of emails with the factory, I pick up my new 23D on April 4th!   8)

curtis

To each his own.  My preference is no motor at all (sculling oar), or the smallest electric possible (trolling motor, or electric outboard if you must).  A plus is no prop drag and no fuel and oil in the bilge.  A sail boat is intended to be sailed.  Whether it is practical to go motorless or with a very small motor certainly depends on where you sail, but for me it should work fine.

I've got a few small projects going and not a whole lot of time but one of them is a prototype sculling oar.  I say prototype because I bought 1x3 rough cut spruce for a first attempt.  Spruce is light and bendy so maybe not the best for something this long but it is very easy wood to work with and should be at least adequate.  I plan to make one, try it, and then build the final with the more traditional ash and mahogany laminate.  ... now if I can just find the time.

Curtis

Windhawk

Yep, it depends on what type of sailing you're going to do.  One of my goals for this summer is to sail from Holland, MI to Milwaukee.  I think I'll feel safer with the diesel in case of a weather turn, or a freighter bearing down on me in a fog.

pbrenton

For a (gratifyingly short) period last summer there was a proposal for an LNG terminal in Casco Bay (Harpswell Maine, specifically).  Imagine 1000' tankers twice a week cutting your favorite sailing ground roughly in two.

The lobstermen and townsfolk shot it down, fast.

Pete
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Craig Weis

I looked at two C-P's and bought one. At Yacht Works in Sister Bay, Wisconsin sitting on trailers was a C-P 19 with 5 hp Mercury 2 stroke and a C-P 23 with diesel. The diesel was stinky and I'll bet, noisy.  

I bought the 'zero time, never in the water' '19' with Harken furler, even though I did not want to spend this much about $12k, the 'already sailed' and stinky diesel was $23k.

Either boat would max out at about 4.6 knots [sog] with the moters they had.

I looked at and wanted to buy a 19 foot Rhodes Mariner on a trailer with used-up outboard, tired sails, with a hole in her hull from a spike sticking out of the dock where she was carelessly tied up to on Washington Island, Wisconsin for $2,500. I planned on offering $1500. They summered here and lived in Florida.

Worked for me, but the wife said 'No way'.  "but babe, I can fix it"....skip. Oh well as long as she is happy. :wink:

WindHawk~This season I'm going to Fayatte, Michigan. My Dad sailed this location as a child/young adult in his familie's schooner from Chicago, many times.

Windhawk

Cool.  The ghost town at Fayette is an interesting spot, if you get a chance to make land fall, it's worth a visit.  I lived in Marquette for about 20 years, and we always tried to go down for a look around every few years or so.  I'm hoping to make it to Escanaba next year, and I hadn't thought about going by Fayette.  I might add it to the route.

jaguaretype

Curtis makes an excellent point about whether or not one needs a motor.   Where I primarily sail, one has no choice.  I keep the boat at a slip on dock "O" of the alphabet with about 60 other boats in a marina with over 2,000 plus boats on 25 plus docks.   Navigating through channels between the various docks to the slip is impossible without power, since some of the channels are long and only about 15' or less wide.  It takes about 15 minutes to motor from the slip to open water, and rowing would be impractical.  Curtis has much better access to open water and thus may have no need for a motor.  Admitedly, there is some occassional diesel smell and mess from the bilge, but unless the engine is leaking fuel, or the bilge is never cleaned, the smell and mess are very insignificant.  Jay.