a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Reefing

Started by Chuck, August 03, 2010, 09:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck

On a calm day when wind had died, I tried reefing on both the first and second reef points to mark the halyards.  I am glad I did.  I realized that I had to remove the sail stop to allow the reefing cringle to reach the mast hook.  I also found that it took time to put in line into the reefing points.  Does anyone run their sails with the lines in all the time?  I imagine that there might be some sail wear over a long time, but if it would be over years, it might be a good idea.  Also, I have the first reefing on the factory jiffy reef in the clew of the reefing point, but what do you do for the second reef?  I hope these questions make as much sense as they do in mind when I am trying to describe them.  Thanks, Chuck

Bob23

They do make sense, Chuck, as I've been through the CP23 reefing class 101.
   I keep my reef lines in the grommets at all times. Just a short length of line about 2 1/2 feet long with 2 figure 8 knots, 1 on each side of the sail. No sail wear in 5 years so I guess it's ok.
   For my reefing points on the clew, I ran a continous line forward to the reefing cleat on the boom with each end tied off at a small fitting on the aft end of the boom under each large reefing grommet on the sail. I know that doesn't make much sense. I could email you a photo of it if you'd like as I still haven't learned how to post photos here. My continous line works great althouth it could just as well be two separate lines.
   Hope this helps, Bob23

LConrad

I prefer to use a mast gate and remove the stops. Reefing is really easy. Not everybody likes this approach.

I made my own. Also you can buy Keynon and Mainsail Gate Assembly: K-9619K: found on http://www.rigrite.com/spars/Kenyon_Spars/3650-mast.html

bmiller

I've been thinking about the gate idea, seems to make sense. Any problems with the slides on the way down? Do they hang up on the corners or is the slide longer then the gate?

LConrad

I actually made my own with the aluminum strip you use for carpet to hard floor transitions. It has a small angle pre-bent that worked great. I am very happy with it - especially when reefing.

Also, I leave my sails on all year with a cover. Those who remove their sails from the mast each time may not like it so much as it requires more effort to remove the sails.