a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new sails/genoa question

Started by whitecap, August 05, 2010, 05:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitecap

i have some questions regarding new sails & also the use of a genoa on a cp16.  i apologize if these questions are really basic but i'm new to sailing a boat this size (my background is windsurfing & sunfish sailing) & am not familiar with genoas.  We have a 1982 cp16 that we enjoy & plan on keeping for a long time.  I already have the idasailor rudder upgrade & am wondering if it's worth new sails & adding a genoa as well.  This boat is used as a fun family daysailor that we sometimes take 14 mile day trips in & wouldn't mind getting around a little faster.

1) does the genoa make a big difference in speed in light wind?
2) what wind range in mph would you guess you use the genoa in instead of the jib?
3) what size genoa is good (150% or 200%).
4) what hardware is needed for a genoa (my boat has unused jam cleats in front of each stern cleat at the rear of the cockpit that are unused & also a screw eye sticking up thorugh the rubrail on both sides of the boat) in line with the center of the cockpit.  i'm guessing this hardware may have been used for a genoa???
5) do new sails make a huge difference in speed/performance to the point that it's worth spending my hard-earned cash on my well-loved but low performance boat?

-thank you in advance for answers, guys!

Billy

1. YES!!!!!!
2. When you see white caps (7-10 knotts)
3.150 is big enough
4.I guess you could use the screw eye as a pad eye for the genoa sheet and teh jam cleats. Or you could use the same cleats as you use for your Jib. If you really want to get fancy I would add a track w/ blocks for the sheets. If you do get a 150 or bigger a wisker pole might be worth it for sailing down wind.
5. Yes. I added new sails a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. My next upgrade is the ida rudder, but the sails were my 1st upgrade. Also, you'll feel & look better w/ new sails.

I have a 19 and paid $900 for a main w/ 1 reef (5 oz dacron), a 110 jib (5 oz), and a 150 Genoa (4 oz). I thought it was a good deal. I had tehm made at Masthead Enterprises in St. Pete, FL. So for your 16 I would look to spend around $700 for 3 new sails. I know that they have a bunch of used jibs from snarks in their loft that fit a 16 (from $20-$200) not sure what size though.

If I could do it over again I would probably get a smaller jib, instead of the 110, for the heavy weather.

But most importantly, be safe and have fun!!!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-