a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

question about hull number and ID

Started by SailorDave, December 26, 2004, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorDave

I just bought a com-pac 16 the ID number on the transom is ABV02302058516 - this owuld seem to suggest it is a Com-pac 16/2 but this boat does not have a bowsprit - i need to know as I'm going to order some new sails.  I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Dave

Ole RB

Yo Sailor Dave!

According to the HID your 16 is an '85.  The 16/2 didn't go into production until late '86.

I own an '83 and an '86 16 and both have bow sprits.  Possibly, the PO removed it or the option wasn't included from the factory.

Do you see any signs of the bow sprit being removed and the holes patched?

Love these little boats, hope you enjoy many years of sailing on your 16!

bro t

Hey Sailor Dave,
I think you have hull no. 2302, 0585 must be either May '85 or something else cryptic?  I own a 1981 CP16.  She came to me with a bowsprit which looks factory, if I hadn't read it here, I'd have thought she came that way.  According to the info. on this site, your boat should be a 16/2, but there are possibilities why there is no bowsprit (damaged & removed?).  perhaps.  Congrats on your 'new' boat, I'm sure you'll love it!
bro t. from Upwest Maine
SERENITY, CP16 #1632, 1981

Ole RB

I need to edit my post above to add "don't" between 'both and have' in the second paragraph.  Too quick with the keystrokes.

Secondly, I called the Com-Pac manufacturer regarding the 16/2 issue.  The previously stated hull #2202 is correct for the 1st 16/2 which was an '85 model.

They stated that the 1st bow sprit to be standard equipment on a 16 was around '91/'92 with the 16XL.  Prior to that it wasn't even an option so any 16 prior to that was an owner installed bow sprit.

They indicated that the cabin interior would cause the 16's to have a model change.  My '86 has the Teak interior which may be one of the changes that upgraded the nomenclature to 16/2.  My '83 has the "plain Jane" cabin interior.

My next question is, when did the LOA go from 16' to 16' 11"?  Was it with the 16XL?

Gil Weiss

I own a 1990 CP 16/3. It has the bowsprit (standard) and an all teak interior. A fellow several slips up my dock owns a 1988 CP 16/3 which is similar to mine except he doesn't have the large square opening hatch on his foredeck. My mainsail has3 the CP logo and "16/3" on it (See pics in the Image Gallery)

The LOA went to 16'11" when the bowsprit became a part of the CP16. (I don't publicize this fact at the boat yard where I store my CP16 all winter and get the bottom painted in the spring as they might charge me for an extra foot!)

I think the 16/3 version is your missing link. They ran from about '88 to '90 or '91 when the XL model superceded it.

Craig Weis

I have to guess right now about the C-P 16's.
In other words I'm just talking out of my butt, but on my friend's C-P 19 'Wind Rover', he was talking to Rich Hutchins at the All Sail Show in Navy Pier, Chicago. My buddy ordered a bow sprit kit for his early 19 and he will NOT need a new bow stay because the cantinary [read curve] of the bow sprit that comes up to meet the foward stay, even though the foward stay is reaching out a bit in length [1.7"] more while transversing the added length of the bow sprit... How 'bout that!

I'll be the guy installing the kit. Use lots of 3-M 5200 slow cure.

Craig

I realize I'm joining this conversation a bit late, but here is a link that explains what all those numbers on the hull mean:
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

Craig

B.Hart

How about a oldtimers number ABV000630775  not to hard to figure out :)