a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Larger access to berth storage area...

Started by Shawn, July 04, 2010, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Has anyone installed larger access panels (or hinged a section of the top) to the storage area under the V-berth or quarter berths? If so how did you do it and how do you like it?

I was thinking about doing this on the port side under the V-berth to give a nice place to store an inflatable dinghy. There is a pretty fair amount of space under there but it is somewhat limited in what can be put in there with the factory access panel.

Shawn

HideAway

If there is an advantage to owning an older boat usually someone has made modifications - hopefully well done.   

In HideAways case there are two more openings in the v berth and a total of four on the settees (2 each)  They look like post production add ons.  None of them are larger than a foot or so across and appear to be made by cutting out the top from the deck and adding runners along the inner sides to give the new cover something to sit on.  In all cases the corners are rounded to about the diameter of a drinking glass.

I would not recommend making a hole large enough to store a dink -  My concern would be weakening the hull.    Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

Shawn:
   My 1985 23/2 has removable access panels made of plywood. I thought of (but haven't gotten around to yet) minimully putting a piano hinge on each one. But I don't see why we couldn't have one larger panel on a hinge.
   There is a tremendous amount of storage under the v berths but with that small 1 foot square panel, I only put small stuff in there. Let me know what you come up with. As for me and "Koinonnia", that will wait 'till next winter. This summer we sail!
Bob23

Craig Weis

There is no usable space [4"] under the quarter birth on a CP-19. So I'm thinking it's the same for your larger boat. Try a 16" x 16" hatch in the Vee Birth.

skip.

Bob23

Nay, nay Skipper:
   There is lots of room under the quarter berths, just not a lot of access to it. By lots of room I mean long but very narrow. I keep spare parts in a Stanley parts box purchased at Home Depot. They have removable yellow boxes and just barely fit under thar. I keep rigging parts in one, electrical parts in another. With more access, these would be alot easier to extract.
    I have a plan to install my portapottie in the starboard storage area under the vee berth just forward of the bulkhead. I measured it out, it would fit and a vent hose would be fitted to keep it smellin' rosey. That'll wait until next winter.
Bob23

HideAway

I thought of putting hinges on them but it seems to me then I'd have to have a way to hold it up while the cushions try to push it down.  I find it easier just to set the top aside or use it to wedge up the cushion.   I usually set the lid askew of the hole to allow some air circulation rather than completely cover the hole-- don't know if it really does anything but I've never had a mold issue.    Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Craig Weis

Bob 23..."There is lots of room under the quarter berths" OK then your boat has much more vertical room under the quarter birth than my C-P 19. Make a hatch and stow away things like tools as suggested.
My C-P 19 has maybe four stacked up fingers between the quarter birth and the hull.

skip.

dawntreader

On Dawntreader I made the openings almost twice as large, and use rubbermaid dishpans tied together to organize and use the space that is usually out of reach.  Also, when I replaced my cushions, I made the quarterberth cushions in two sections, so I wouldn't have to lift the entire cushion to get to the storage.  This is especially good when I've thrown stuff into the foot of the quarterberth.  It works well

mike