a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

tiller cover

Started by cdaxj, July 26, 2010, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaxj

Hey friends - I've just restained and finished my tiller and I want to make a cover for it.  Anyone done this?  I'm mostly interested in the type of fabric I should use.  I know I can get rip stop nylon at Joann's or something, but I'm not sure if that'll do the job.  Thanks again.
Chad

Wiggs

I made mine out of sunbrella (ordered from SailRite (sp?)). It does require a sewing machine with a bit of oomph. I bought an old Singer 15-91 for $70. I have made a cover for my outboard, my tiller, and a sail cover. I used the same color for all and it looks pretty good. The tiller cover I made used two pieces, the seams run on top of and below the tiller. That way you can leave the last six inches or so, unsewed? (unsewn?) (not sewed?) to fit around the rudder. A bit of elastic to go around the rudder to hold it on. Maybe took twenty minutes.

Good luck,
Wiggs

Salty19

Definitely consider Sunbrella.  Very tough material, dries quickly, is fairly water resistant and should last a long time exposed to wind, water, the sun.  Defender and sailrite has the best prices on it. 

JoAnn's also has outdoor fabric but Sunbrella is the defacto standard and you should find a color which compliments your boat and tastes.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob Condon

Joann has Sumbrella also but Sailrite is much better

while you are at it, make covers for the winches

I made a main sail, tiller, and winch covers . You can use your existing sail cover as a template.

I own a Sailrite zigzag sewing machine which is pricey but very beefy. I made the main and jib sails also
with kits from Sailrite.

Bob Condon
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226