Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bilge Pump, technical question?

Started by brackish, May 18, 2010, 07:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Quote from: bmiller on May 20, 2010, 01:50:37 PM
Hey salty, bilge water in the cockpit? Might get a little stinky on yer feet.

Bmiller-  yes, it might!    My thought process here is there is very little risk of taking on water from either a new thru hole leaking or following seas, a bad hose or clamp, etc.   If a bilge is repeatedly wet, your point is well taken.   However if the bilge is dry, and this new pump is for the unexpected surprise (for example leaving a hatch open by accident and a heavy rain drenches the interior), I'm willing to put up with stinky feet.  Heck I would probably not even be on the boat when that happens. 

With this said,  there is a good reason aside from your comment on why NOT to do this.  Fuel vapors may work it's way down the hole/hose and into the bildge.  If the pump or wiring let's off a spark--bad news.

On my 19 there is a real good spot in the middle of the boarding ladder area for the thru-hull.  Now getting access to this is another story!!   I may have to recruit my neighbors kid to climb in there !

Yep, the dedicated thru hull with hoses as described above seems to be best way to do this.   

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

bmiller

Salty,
My thoughts on this stem from the plumbing on my boat. 27's have the ice box drain plumbed to the bilge along with the drain in the head for the shower. Plus we have a stuffing box that allows a small amount (or should) of sea water to enter. That water flows along under the engine compartment pan picking up who knows what. Also anything that gets into the anchor locker, sea water mud sand rust seaweed or critters, winds up in the bilge. Sometimes on a long voyage the bilge on Pooka can get a little ripe, depending on what's in the ice box.

This reminds me of a story. While trailering home one time we still had plenty of ice in the box. As we drove around that ice was melting and of course collecting in the bilge. Once in awhile when coming to a stop the water would slosh forward activating the float switch, water is pumped out the port side of the boat and onto the road. Well one time when I came up to a stop light the pump kicked on just as we stopped alongside an Officer of the Law. Just missed his car. We were in Mexico.

Salty19

Ahh..that explains a lot--I certainly understand why you would want the water flowing overboard directly.
On my 19 there is no means for the bildge to get wet, barring a leak or swamping.

Glad you didn't get La Policia's shoes wet!!! That would be "fuera de moda" !!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603