a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Power thruster on a 2hp Honda BF2 ?

Started by Jim Fynes, April 30, 2005, 07:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fynes

Has anyone installed a power thruster on a  2hpHonda BF2. I am thinking of getting one and am wondering, does it make a difference and are there any difficulties getting it on the motor. Does the zinc get in the way?

Craig Weis

I'm sorry Jim,  but I don't know what you are talking about. Power thruster? Zinc in the way...? skip.

Jim Fynes

Sorry I didn't explain it better. The Power Thruster is an add on item, bolted to the fins just above the prop. It is a stainless  steel half circle around the prop that supposedly adds thrust. It would mount on the area where the zinc anode is located and I was trying to find out if that coulld stay where it is or need to be relocated.  I was hoping that someone had added one to their motor and what they thought of it.

Craig Weis

A power thruster sounds as if it is simply an EDUCTOR.

EDUCTORS are used to increase the flow of a liquid discharge by influencing fluid movement. X~amount out the end of the pipe with the EDUCTOR screwed on to it, makes X+maybe 7 to 8% more out the end of the EDUCTOR. You see? Rocket science.

Water is 800 times more dense than air and being so will tend to encourage other molecules of stagnat fluid [fluid at rest] to tag along with the forced fluid. Be it from prop wash or a centrifugal pump.

We use EDUCTORS to stir up paint in Electrodeposition paint tanks. That fluid is about 97% water and 3% paste [read paint]. And eductors on the end of the pump pipe at the bottom of a 8500 gallon tank do a fine job of moving things around and counterflowing liquid up the slope of the tank and toward the skimmer and weir.

You can see this working in a E-coat tank in a TV HUMMER commercial. It shows painting the primer coat onto a Hummer body. That thing the body is being dragged [dipped] through from an overhead conveyor is the E-coat tank. It is usually flat grey paint by PPG. Tanks cost about $2.2 million, give or take.

My question is do you really need it? Got a big enough outboard? Who needs to move more water? Might be good in weeds...anybody know? What about reverse and water flow? Do eductors [sorry power thrusters]work both ways? Heck if I know.   skip.

Gil Weiss

I would agree with Skip. The 2 hp honda will move your boat just fine. I believe in the statement, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I have seen those honda's push CP 16's just fine. They are good little motors as is.