News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

about to buy a CP 19, help w/ a few lil' questions?

Started by Richard B., February 18, 2005, 08:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard B.

Howdy!

I'm about to drive down to Florida, from Boston, on the 28th of this month to purchase a 19/3 (after careful inspection) and haul it back.

Could anyone help me out with a couple questions?

-I'm thinking that I'm going to bring a spare set of wheel hubs for the trailer. (what's worse than being stuck on the side of road trying to scrounge up hard to find trailer parts?)
       Does the standard '87, 19/3 era trailer have a 4 or 5 lug wheel?

-Is it true that there are no eyebolts on the stern for strapping? What are the preffered methods for strapping this girl on while trailering? ...just going over the stern section, from the trailer on one side, to the trailer to the other?

-Any other tips for my road trip? ...or specifics related to this boat that I should look out for in my inspection?

Thanks, very much!!!

tsaiapex

Congratulations on the new purchase.  I do not remember 4 or 5 lugs since the trailer is at the storage.  Make sure to bring a low profile scissor jack because it is very difficult to get a jack under the trailer when the tire is TOTALLY deflated.  Also purchase one of those cross shaped tire changer thing so you can use it for 4 different lug size.

It may be wise to find out from the seller the load range is on the current tire so you cay bring the correct spare.  I think my CP19 trailer has load range E.

Also find out from seller the type of trailer bearing so you will be prepared dealing with them on the road.

As far as for long distance trailing, I would suggest:
- remove outboard
- remove the rudder blade
- tie down tiller
- secure stern ladder
- secure spreader bars so they won't bounce around hitting the cabin top

CP19's stern hangs off the trailer too far for stern tie-down.  An alternative is to strape her down at the middle with a long tie-down.

Watch out for potholes on Hwy 95 and drive safe.

GlennB724

with regard to your tie down question.  when I bought my cp16 last august, I got a long, heavy duty web tie-down with the ratchet tightening device.  It works VERY well, maybe even too well.  on the fist trip I attached the hook ends to the trailer frame and tightened that baby down very hard... actually too hard.  I acutually pulled the bunker arms down slightly giving the boat a slight list on the trailer.  I learned it's better to attach the hooks to the bunker arms, which hold the boat fast against the bunker boards, and doesn't exert any force directly to the trailer frame.  OH... also make sure you put a soft cloth or maybe leather chamois between nylon web and hull, othwise it will leave a mark.

Seaweed

Congratulations!  I hope everything works out for you.  I did the same thing in 1999, when I went from central Illinois to Port Townsend, WA to buy my first boat.  All the way out I was thinking I hope this boat is big enough to do with it what I want.  On the way back I was thinking I hope this boat is not too big to do what I want.  

I would strongly advise following Glen's advise about the chaffing gear under the tie-downs or straps.  Put this where ever the straps or ropes come in contact with any part of the boat.  On a long trip such as you are planning it is important.  Also check the tiedowns periodically to make sure they don't come loose.  A local boat deliverer told me to use duct tape or an equivalent to tape down the ends of the straps to prevent them from slapping the boat and to prevent them from comming loose.  Also when you pass the straps over the stern put a twist in it as this will stop it from fluttering in the wind.

Again good luck

Tom G. (Seaweed)

steve brown

Hi Richard, This may be of help. I own a 1982 CP19 with the original Magic-tilt trailer and it has 5 lug wheels on it. I would think that a later model CP19 trailer would have nothing less than 5-lugs.  :)

Richard B.

I really appreciate all of your help and advise! You've all helped me out a lot!

We bought the boat!!!!! :D

She surveyed well, and as a bonus, had some interesting modifications (one of which: she'd been converted to mid-boom sheeting, with a traveler  ...I'm looking forward to see if this might get me a couple extra points to winward) Let me know if anyone is curious as to how this was done.

The trip home went well, with the exception of a hitch socket to hitch head joint on my car that had a little play, and thus produced a blood curdling groaning noise. (We definately confirmed the origin of the noise, and that it was harmless)

I am looking forward to, actually ...drooling about, the coming sailing season!!!!

Thanks again for taking the time to pass your advise on to me!

Fair winds to you!