a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just brought home a 1980 CP16 :)

Started by Frantic, June 22, 2010, 12:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frantic

After many month of searching I am now the proud owner of a 1980 Compact 16! :)

I'm very excited and can't wait to get her in the water this weekend. I have a few questions if you all would be so kind:

1) The cushions for the cabin are missing. Whats a good affordable way to get new ones?

2) The cabin paint is in bad shape and is peeling everywhere. Whats a good way to scrape it all off ad what kind of paint will work to paint the inside?

3) Any general advice for a beginner? The only thing I've sailed before this was a snark. I'm going to go home later today and figure out exactly how all that rigging works :)

Thanks in advance!

Bob23

Hey, Frantic: Don't be. Here at the site you'll find so much help that It'll make you scream!
   You will love your 16. I can't he;p you out with the cushions but the paint- well, just get to scraping and use a mask. I think any decent paint will work inside the cabin just be sure to sand, and clean the surface with Acetone first. I used some Rustoleum on the inside of my hatches on my 23...has held up just fine. If yer feeling rich, Interlux Brightsides is nice, too.
   You 16 is a very forgiving boat, more so than the Snark. Check the vast expanses of this site (especially the 16 section) and you'll find more info than you can possibley use in a lifetime.
Best to you in this new adventure of your,
Bob23

jpfx

my advice is to use a scouring pad on the inside for loose paint. on mine, the weave is too prominent to use a scraper. I'd suggest kilz as a suitable paint which might suppress some mould. I have a semi-gloss house paint of some sort which stuck well. the flaking might be due to little surface prep as opposed to poor paint.
for first time out watch for windage . it's quite a difference to get a cp16 going compared to a dink if you have a light breeze. keep the main sheet loose enough (I'd have mine over the side) and be prepared to bear off the wind to get steerageway. once you have that you can bear up. be aware that a  cp16 will slip quite a ways leeward and keep well clear of a lee shore until you get a feel for how different the 16 sails.
apologies for stating the bloody obvious.. this info would've been useful to me. YMMV. there's so many variables involved. enjoy!

Frantic

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. As for the obvious...nothing is obvious to me right now aside from the fact that I own a boat :)

Bob Condon

Cushions... find an upholsterer in your area and they can make cushions unless you have the skill.

For paint, I would strip the interior of the boat and use green scrubee pad or a stiff hand brush with
1 gal water, qt of bleach and a good heavy squirt of dish washing liquid and wash the interior. Old clothes
because they will be trashed because of the bleach.

I tip the boat up and let it drain to the stern, then hose the interior down with fresh water... dryvac the water out
at the stern or pump it out and let it sit in the sun for a week to completely dry out.

I used high gloss white Rustoleum for the interior.. use a roller and keep it off the teak. Also, the paint
store has anti mold additive (small bottle about $6) and put in the correct amount.... two coats and let it dry for at least 24 hours
between coat

Stay in a lake for a while until you get the skill
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

romei

I also went from a snark to a CP-16 and know what you are thinking.  Luckily, there was a sailor to help me when I rigged it the first time.  I'd have a friend there to help step the mast the first time or two.  The fore stay and shrouds are easy to figure out.  They are the steel cables that hold the mast in place.  After you step the mast and pin them into place, you'll want to make sure they are taught, but not tight.

The halyards.  One on the back of the mast is for raising the main sail.  The one on the front is for raising the head sail.  The head sail (jib or Genoa) will prolly have hanks on it which you attach to the fore stay so that the leading edge slides up and down the forestay when you raise and lower it.  Run the jib sheets back, outside the shrouds and through the standing blocks and through the cam cleats.

Hopefully the main sheet is already threaded through the pulley system and all you have to do is attach the center double block  to the bottom of the boom aft.

When you raise the main and jib, mine had a cleat on each side if the mast towards the bottom to tie them off to.

Tip: point into the wind when you start raising sails and leave everything free and flapping until you get back to the cockpit or you wind up starting to sail while you are up on the fore deck :-D

Good Luck and fair winds!

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

kickingbug1

the best thing you can do for a 16 is to buy or make a foil rudder. many on this site have done so and have shared their info. everything you need to know is right here.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob Condon

Hmmmm.. I think the best thing that Frantic can do for his CP16 is to get
time in the seat, and develop his skills. Maybe in 3-4 years a foil may
make sailing more enjoyable, but for now, learning and doing is the
most important investment.

A new foil won't help his sailing.

The same goes true with cleaning up the boat and painting... That work can be done
in the winter when sailing is less possible. Sure, wash it down and organize your equipment
but don't forego sailing because the boat is not pretty inside.

On the Farrier website where folks build trimarans, the conversation comes up
with.... Do I build a brand new boat which takes 5 years -or- do I buy a used
boat and go sailing... With that question, only a small number invest their time in building the boat.

The other point is that it takes a lot of time in the seat to figure how a boat should perform
and without that knowledge, the boat you build will be less than optimum.

Go sailing.... be happy.....

bob

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Frantic

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to sail it this weekend...ugly cabin or not! No worries there.

What is this winter you speak of? I live in Miami we don't have those here...lol :)

I cabin just needs a bit the old paint out and new paint in (aside from the cushions...I plan on using lawn chair type cushions for now.) Shouldn't be that bad. Maybe a weeks project if I work on it a bit everyday. The hard part will be cleaning the mess after I get all the old paint off!

Potcake boy

Quote from: Bob Condon on June 24, 2010, 09:00:27 AM
On the Farrier website where folks build trimarans, the conversation comes up
with.... Do I build a brand new boat which takes 5 years -or- do I buy a used
boat and go sailing... With that question, only a small number invest their time in building the boat.

Bob - are you a multihuller?

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

newt

Frantic- before you go out (which I would encourage) I would take a quick look at the hull, the deck and the mast/shrouds and just make sure everything is usable. Then just do short sails for a while till you are sure everything is seaworthy. It usually is but I have had some unpleasant surprises on new to me boats....

Bob Condon

Potcake

I seriously looked at building a F31. Purchased plans, built a garage to changel the building process
but then gave up on the idea when the stock market went to hell and my funds were reduced.

My brother owns a Corsair built F31; I have not sailed with him on it.

To build, I expected a 70K investment and 5 years of my life... instead I bought a Cape Dory 28
and cut my teeth there and have downsized to a CP19...We bought a camp in Maine
so the CD 28 is on the market.

Hmmmm... no winter....

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Bob23

Frantic:
   Well, we have winter up here in NJ...had a good snowy one last year. To make you jealous, I'm putting 2000 pounds of snow in the mail to you that I had stored up for a special occasion. Enjoy!
   And, yes- go sailing dirty boat or not. Get to know the boat before you upgrade anything. This advice comes from and uncurable upgrader!
Bob23

Frantic

You can keep your snow. I had enough to last me forever when I spent 3 winter months in Minnesota...but thanks :)

I too am an up-grade junkie. My boat came with a nice compass and front and rear lights for sailing at night and my dad gave me an electric motor. So the only thing I'm going to do for now is add a solar panel to keep the battery going. Aside from that and replace the busted up tiller I'll leave her as is for a good while.

don l

Welcome and enjoy, we have had our's  for 3 year now.  Yes,  I have read a lot  about sailing, but I must say, It time in the boat with the winds that counts the most.

the best of winds!