a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rubber Bumper

Started by benpierce, June 14, 2010, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benpierce

I have a '83 16/1 which I have done quite a bit of work on, but have had a hard time with the rubber bumper that covers the seam between topside and bottom. Previous owners decided to paint it over and over so I am left with a chipped brown/green mess cover 360 degrees of my beloved vessel. I have been unable to locate a replacement, nor have I been able to find a way to remove the old paint. I have tried sanding, scraping, rubber-safe solvents, and pretending it isn't hideous. None have been effective. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or knowledge from the forum. I am new to the forum, and am thrilled to have found so many other enthusiasts. 

Salty19

Hutchins can sell you this..it's called a Rubrail and priced at $4.50 per foot.   They have all replacement parts available in stock or via special order for your boat.

Note installing this is difficult!  You must preheat the rubber and stretch it on the boat.   Do a search for rubrail here to learn more.

As a side note, if you do replace it, it's a fantastic time to reseal the hull to deck joint with 3M5200 sealant/adhesive. Especially if you have any leaks in this area already.

I would suggest against using chemicals on this to remove the paint.  It will degrade the material and could turn it into a nightmare to remove.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

bob lamb

Yep, it's called the rub rail.  I have had good results painting mine on my CP23.  Unless you just want to spend the bucks to get a new one at Hutchins.

BobLamb
Blest B'yond B'lief

benpierce

I am unsure if the hull joint leaks. Until this point, I have been trailer sailing it, so it has not seen too much water exposure and thus far it has been dry. I will be putting it in a slip for the second half of the season, so if it is faulty, it will show.

Bob, what kind of paint have you used? did you primer? has it peeled or flaked? It looks terrible right now, so I suppose I don't have much to lose.

Any idea what it is made of? It seems to be rubber, but it is hard to tell under the layers of paint. 

cdaxj

I would say it's a rubberish material.  Hard to imagine it painted, but I suppose it could be.  I'd go with a new one.

bob lamb

I have painted my rub rail with interlux brightside topside paint.  Really, any acryllic will work.  If you hit the dock a little sideways, just touch it up!
  I am not your typical Compac purist, although I do love the little ships (had a 16 prior to my present 23).  Here's a picture...can't seem to get it to load here though??
http://

benpierce

I'm no stranger to Beaufort, NC. My grandfather lives in New Bern, and used to keep his rig (com-pac 23 at one point, and a Hunter 30 later) on the Neuse, or the Trent I can't remember. It's a beautiful area, and a wonderful place to sail.

cdaxj

Cool looking boat man! 
Chad

Quote from: bob lamb on June 15, 2010, 04:49:20 PM
I have painted my rub rail with interlux brightside topside paint.  Really, any acryllic will work.  If you hit the dock a little sideways, just touch it up!
  I am not your typical Compac purist, although I do love the little ships (had a 16 prior to my present 23).  Here's a picture...can't seem to get it to load here though??
http://

Salty19

Bob-

Wanna trade?   :)

Very nice trawler conversion!

bob lamb

Salty:
  Your two for my one?  :)   Just kidding...don't think I want to part with my little ship.  Might consider "remodeling" yours though  :)

Gotta figure out how to reduce the size of this pic???

Bob

Salty19

It's a deal!

Mine are the center and red boats.  They are ready to go, I'll even include a bail for ya :)  I may even have an oar in the basement.

But seriously, I really like your boat!   I can't see converting mine over, but doesn't mean I won't pillage another one in the future. A 23 makes more sense for that conversion me thinks. Perhaps someday with more time and money, I've always like that style of motor-trawler-sailor.