a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Asymmetrical halyard fouling on the upper furler drum

Started by brackish, June 11, 2010, 08:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

My new Asymmetrical works great, really gives the boat a boost off the wind, easy to set and douse with the ChuteScoop.  However, when not in use, the halyard has seriously fouled on the upper furler drum several times when operating the furler.  To avoid this, I keep both ends of the halyard pulled tight and tied off at the most forward part of the the bow pulpit to give clearance from the upper drum.  I would, however, like to keep the operating end down the mast and use the block, deck organizer and clutch on the port side to lead it into the cockpit.

The asyspin halyard block is mounted on the masthead ring in front of everything.  What have you used to route it back and keep it clear.  Fairlead or cheekblock?  Seems like I remember a thread on this subject but I couldn't find it.

Craig Weis

I hate that when it happens. Pull that headsail up as high as possible and pull the spinnaker and if you use one the scoop bag down a bit. If your using a separate block and halyard let her come down a bit for clearance. That's all you can do right?

skip.

brackish

I thought I remembered a thread on this where some folks either used a fairlead or a cheekblock on the side of the mast at the top, port side in order to route the spin halyard away from the knob on the upper drum so that it would not catch.  Hoping to see what location seemed to work out OK.  Haven't had a problem with the spinnaker halyard fouling when the RF sail is rolled up and out of use, the problem occurs when I'm either rolling out or rolling up the jib, it catches the spin halyard and wraps a couple of times before I realize it is snagged.

Keeping both ends tight and attached to the bow pulpit in front of and parallel to the furler works, but I want to leave the working end in the cockpit and use an existing clutch.

LConrad

So far so good on adding expsy putty on the top of my CDI.  I suggested it to CDI at Strictly Sail. They seemed intersted.  Here is the thread.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=1830.0