a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

genoa runners

Started by corinthian, June 02, 2010, 12:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corinthian

Been getting used to my 16/3. I would appreciate opinions on the forward and aft positions of the blocks on the port and starboard runners that adjust position for the sheets. Light air, heavy air, speed, pointing up, etc.  thanks

Greene

Corinthian

I am in no way qualified to offer sailing instruction or tips, but for reference material I can make a recommedation. We have read far too many sailing books without learning a darn thing. (Not the author's fault) The best book we found was actually just a booklet by Don Guillette, "The Sail Trim Users Guide".  It cuts out most of the theory and just gives concise, easy to understand instructions.  You can Google his name and it will tell you where to order it.  If you do order it, make sure you buy the two laminated "cheat sheets" he offers for a buck or two each.  One is for the main sail and the other is for the jib/genoa.  They boil down the info even further and you can take them on the sailboat with you.  It was the cheapest how-to book we bought and by far our favorite. 

Let me know if you check it out.

Mike

'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Salty19

Cor-

You want the jib sheet to be pointed at the center of the jib luff.  On my old boat I put a small mark with a perm marker at this point on the sail for easy eyeballing. 

On my old 16 with a 155% genoa, the cleats on the 5" tracks were as far aft as they could go, about 6" foreward of the stern horn cleats.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cdaxj

Since I'm new to sailing and still learning the lingo, I'm not 100% on what you're talking about.

However, I had the thought on installing a new set of clam cleats around about the midway point of the cockpit for use on my genoa.  The jib clam cleat positions just seem to far forward for the larger genoa.  Would doing this make any sense at all?
Thanks,
Chad