a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fasteners

Started by ffnorts, May 29, 2010, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffnorts

Hi Im Johnny Como from Lake Como Wis. Have an old CP-16 thats in pretty good shape BUT the little old brass and rubber expansion fasteners  for the jib sheet block (fairlead to the cockpit camcleat) finally failed and pulled out. Need new fasteners or some remedy to reattach the plate and block. Anyone have a solution to my problem? I need to sail! happy holiday

Craig Weis

I am not exactly sure what your asking. To repair anything, that fairlead mounted on the cockpit combing has pulled out? So that means the screws through the fiberglass bedding into the hardpoint plywood glassed into the underside of the combing has 'let go' of the screws?

OK, I have never used the fairleads, no big deal, like anything needing a 'new home' I'd drill for 1/4" round oval head philip head drive bolts, flat washer, and nylock nuts. Not too tight as really squeezing the water out of the fastener would crack the 'brittle as glass' fiberglass resulting in a whole bunch of unsightly hairline cracks. These would not be structural but just ugly. Additionally I'd make an aluminum backing plate the same approximate size as the top-o-fairlead for the underside and 3-M 5200 slow set those fasteners back in.
Good as new, probably better.

Where the heck is Lake Como, Wisconsin? I fly some Como engines on a few of my R/C aeroplanes. But that's Italy.

skip.

Greene

Glad to see another Wisconsinite on the site.  We agree with Skip, Where the heck is Como?

Mike and Brenda
Marshall,  WI
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

ffnorts

Thanks for the advice, I knew you three would reply and I thank you.  First off lake Como is a shallow weed infested drainage lake in Walworth county Just north of Lake Geneva. Upside, its quiet has nice people, beautiful sunsets, during the week days you would think your in the north woods, and its only an hour and a half from Chicago where due to my employment I reside,  and keep our little summer home on Como.  As far as the my boat the Second Wind. My problem is only a foam filled cavity underneath the fair-lead. Hull # ABV00381M77G so she's 33. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but for lake Como she still sails well. I think I'l try and find a stainless expandable wing anchor and silicone it down and hope for the best. The whisker pole is my other option either way Shell be taking me to the fish fry Friday night.

Thanks again

Craig Weis

" I think I'l try and find a stainless expandable wing anchor [??] and silicone it down and hope for the best "

You'll have to wish pretty hard. I don't see that working...I don't think there is too much dry wall on the boat.

skip.

Salty19

Those fasteners do not sound like factory built.   Those types of fasteners are not structural.  they are used to hold of things like motorcycle windshields and trim work in an automobile.  Often they use plastic fasteners so they will break free under load.

Either through bolt with a backing plate or use 1" SS wood screws with epoxy or 3M 5200 around the screw.  On my old 16, I could not through bolt on the forward coaming (area underneath is hidden).  If the wood is soft under here, that's another issue.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Craig Weis

"My problem is only a foam filled cavity underneath the fair-lead."
You got me, why is this a problem? Takes up too much room or do you think that little bit of foam is going to keep that CP-16 afloat?
Actually just scrape that stuff out of the way, make a backing plate and re bolt the fairlead back in.
If you can't get into that area for attaching the backing plate, washers and nuts then move the fairlead and fill the old holes. "Hold it closer to the phone so I can see it."

It's not required by the Coast Guard to float when swamped, and that poured concreate and pig iron keel will pull any Com-Pac straight down.

skip.