a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Good Old Boat article on Com-pacs

Started by Bruce Woods, January 07, 2005, 07:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Woods

Issue 40, Jan/Feb 2005 has a nice write-up on the boats and the builders.

Windhawk

I just picked up the magizine yesterday.  It's a good article, with more detailed information in one place then I've yet to find.

BTW, they give the total number of hulls built for each model, and list 644 for the 23, which kinda' excited me since they're currently building mine, and she'll be hull# 645.

bob lamb

I'm wondering where exactly is the hull number on the 23?

Soon to be in possession of 1989 CP23D!!!
Bob in Raleigh

CaptK

Bob -

Look on the transom, upper stbd corner. There will be a long alphanumeric string there. Towards the end of it will be the year the boat was made, and the hull number. This isn't exactly right, but for Epiphany (built 1979, hull #26), it looked somewhat like this (x's could be letters or numbers):

xxxxxx79026

Now, that's not exact, but it should give you an idea of what I mean. I might even have the year/hull# in reverse order. I'm sure someone could post more exact info, but this should let you figure out what you want to know. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

bob lamb

Thanks Kurt;
 It looks like mine is hull #499....the last seven digits of my number is 499D989...I'm assuming the D refers to diesel, the 9 refers to the month boat was produced, and the 89 refers to the year of production.

Bob

Windhawk

Hey, Bob:

Is that your hull # on a 23???  Could you check that again.  The GOB article lists 644 23s having been built, and mine will be 645.  Anyway, the format of the number is this:

ABV  23  644 B5  05
 \      \    \     \       \ Year
   \      \    \     \ Month
     \      \    \Hull#
       \      \Model
         \Manufactuer (Com-Pac)

Hmmm, the system doesn't like leading blanks, but you get the idea

Windhawk

The reference I'm reading says the D9 is the date.  Mine is a diesel, and no "D", but a "B".

CaptK

OK, you made me look up the HIN for Epiphany. :)

She was not originally fitted with a diesel from the factory.

|     ABV       | 00 |   026  |  M   |   79   |  J
| Hutchins code | ?  |  Hull# |  ?   |  Year  |  ?

My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Steve

You guys made me check also. CP23 #616
Steve

bob lamb

I double checked my number and it is:

ABV00499D989

So it must be hull #499....by the way, what is the importance of the hull number anyway????   :lol:

I'm just glad I've got one!!!

Bob
CP23D (I think the D means diesel here)

curtis

Try this URL to find out how the hull ID is encoded for your model year.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Curtis
[/url]

jaguaretype

My hull number ABV00512G990.  I think this means I bought Com-Pac 23 D #512 certified July 9, 1990, where G is the seventh letter of the alphabet and stands for July.  Jay.

Seaweed

My Hull No. is ABV17165K304.  This would mean that mine is the 165th boat built? And it was certified November 3, 2004.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Tom G.