a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

portholes

Started by no boat, May 18, 2010, 10:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no boat

Why did they ever get rid of those great round brass portholes. They made the boat!

curtisv

They are actually bronze.  Brass doesn't get along with salty air.

I haven't seen the CP23/4 but I hear all the hardware is SS.  Probably wanted to keep things shiney.  Maybe the cost of copper was a factor.  I'll bet if you order one new and ask real nicely you could get bronze - for a little extra.

So what other changes are there from the CP23/3 to the CP23/4?

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

The 6 inch round bronze Perko portlights on my 1985 23/2 are no longer made. The last time I checked thier price when they were available, they were almost 600 clams each. Times 6- 3600 smackers. I think it was a cost cutting move. If I could get my hands on the oval bronze lights, I'd change mine out in a minute. But they work great. I love the look of the bronze lights and Herreshof style cleats. Nice and weathered...like me!
Bob23

brackish

So what other changes are there from the CP23/3 to the CP23/4?

From the Hutchins site:

* All stainless steel hardware, ports and mooring cleats
    * Rigid PVC rubrail with stainless steel striker plate
    * Foil rudder blade with control handle
    * Interior modifications that allow for easier installation of instruments, radios, and shore power

The interior modification listed was a change to the companionway to make a larger area to put the power panel and other instruments. Both the 12V DC and 120V AC panels are located in that area and there is a lot of room for rear access to wire in additions.  I installed my VHF and a Stereo receiver in that location and will be installing a bilge pump selector switch.  The down side is that the height in the area that is normally used for ice chests has been reduced and it was very difficult to find a multi day cooler that would fit in the spot.

You would notice on the literature the boat is listed as 3200# displacement rather than 3000.  When I asked about this, was told that there was no specific design change, just catching up with reality.

By the way, I like the new ports, but would have been satisfied with the Bronze.  They are very high quality, opening, stay open with a friction brake without hooks and are screened.  Compac could have gone the other way and used the plastic or aluminum ports that so many production boat manufacturers use and that would have been a shame.

Bob23

Plastic or aluminum? May it never be. Gerry and Rich seem committed to quality.  l like the new ss cleats and lights but, being a tradiionalist, love the look of bronze. I'd have bronze standing rigging if I could! jk. But I'd go galvanized.
Bob23

Craig Weis

From the Hutchins site:

* All stainless steel hardware, ports and mooring cleats
* Rigid PVC rubrail with stainless steel striker plate
* Foil rudder blade with control handle

I like the foil but not the handle. On the CP-19 I simply used a snow thrower sheer bolt and drilled a hole through the blade and aluminum rudder casting. I kept the lock nut so 'she don't rattle'. It'll kick up if I ground her but it's a pain to lock the rudder down that keeps getting loose. I use the boat hook to slide the seaweed off of it when I get stuck in the cut between the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Those 4" dia bronze ports on the CP-19 with screens are great. Really sets the sheer and saltiness of the boat off.

* Interior modifications that allow for easier installation of instruments, radios, and shore power

skip.