Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PERKO BRONZE PORTLIGHT RESEAL

Started by Bob23, April 17, 2010, 07:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

To all:
   When I bought my 1985 23/2, all 6 Perko portlights leaked. I found and bought the gasket to seal between the frame and operable sash at Defender. After I installed 'em, it helped some but did not eliminate the problem.
   My lights were leaking at the hinged sash, between the glass and the frame itself. Well, there's a guy in my area who has a business making nothing more than gaskets and hoses. Hence the name "Trico Hose and Gasket". I stopped in to see if he could make new gaskets for my Perkos.
   As I approached the door, I noticed a sign that said "Beware of the dog- his name is Duke."
Kind of a strange sign but I walking in anyway. Duke, in 2 strides, was at my side and I was looking at the biggest Great Dane I had ever seen! "Is he ok?" I asked. "Sure" said proprietor Adrian "but  just don't put your hands out." I retracted my hands, desiring to keep them attached to my arms.
   I explained my dilemna to Adrian and he walked me back to his shop where he housed cool machines for making gaskets as well as hundreds of rolls of raw gasket-making material. In no time, he had punched out 6 gaskets, 3/23" thick and sized to fit. We walked back to his office, Duke stillchecking me out and I went to pay my bill. "5 bucks sound ok?" "Sure, I said" and handed hima five-spot.
   Why am I boring you with this story? Because if your 6 inch bronze Perko portlights are leaking as mine were, I have the solution.  For the cost of the gaskets and postage, I will send these to you so you too, can haver perfecttly dry portlights! Such a Deal!! My email address is in my profile!
Bob23

curtisv

Bob,

You may get to know Adrian and Duke after making that generous offer.

My CP23/3 ports have lot leaked though they did let if a fair amount of water when I forgot to close them on a windy day and buried the rail.  My kids thought it was funny.  My wife was less amused.  We went home with wet clothing but home is just up the street from our mooring.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

I spoke with Duke about this. Yes, he says, definitely close the ports during rainstorms. I'll confirm this with Rich and Gerry first thing Monday am.
Bob23

curtisv

Not a rainstorm.  It was the waves coming in when the rail was buried on a tack.
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Oh, yeah...I've done that- and worse.
Bob23