a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cushion cleaning

Started by Mike Howell, May 28, 2017, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Howell

Anyone remove the cabin cushions and wash them in a machine?

I left the ports open and it rained......a lot. I removed the covers so the foam would dry faster and more completely. The fabric is still in good shape (2002) and no stains or tears. Since the covers are off the foam, I thought it would be a good idea to machinewash them.
Has anyone washed theirs? Anyone recommend against it?

Thanks.
Mike

relamb

I borrowed my son's Bissell little green machine spot cleaner ($89)  to do my CP27 cushions.  It worked so well I decided to buy my own, a higher end model was on sale. https://www.bissell.com/spotclean-pro-portable-carpet-cleaner-3624.
Works great on the boat cushions, but now I can also do the carpet in the car, sofa pillows, etc etc.  Couldn't resist, had to go on a cleaning spree once I got it!
Rick

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

oceanroadus

Hey Mike, you could probably get a nice clean by just soaking them in a bucket or tub in good quality laundry detergent overnight and rinsing with a hose next day. New detergents work very well and you wont risk tearing the zippers.  Simple green is good too lemon scented is available.  Otherwise I would only use delicates setting which has low agitation.
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

Dave-in-RI

Adding to thread for posterity: I took the covers off my lightly used cabin / interior cushions (2010 Sun Cat) and put them into the washing machine with regular household laundry detergent and 2 cups of Pure Ayre (marine strength) per their instructions. Washed fine, came out looking and smelling perfect, and went to hang them up outside on a clothes rack. I noticed they appeared to be dusty as lots of "dust" was falling off into the air. I first thought it was leftover cushion dust, but it was the exterior fabric "shedding". I put them into the dryer on "no heat" and after 20 minutes the lint trap was packed full of sparkly lint (the tannish greenish cushions have some almost metallic quality to some of the threads in the material). Cleaned it, fluffed them, and did it again-- same result. One more time, and the lint tray was only 1/3 full or so. That was good enough for my schedule, and after I make new cushions from a kingsize 3" firm latex mattress slab (topper) I bought ($300), using an electric bread knife ($15 for the job), I'll vacuum them with a shop vac. Speaking of, I had to vacuum the nooks and crannies of the dryer to get all the remaining stuff that shed.