a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1st reef

Started by Tom V, March 20, 2010, 09:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom V

What wind speed usually requires the sail of a horizon cat to be reefed?

newt

What if I told you that the wind speed to reef time changes as you get to know the boat?! Just reef when you feel you need to, and give the proper sign to those that laugh....

kahpho

Good advise, that. A good rule in many instances.
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

jamato323

I agree with Newt but you can err on the side of caution in the beginning. If it's blowing over 15 kts, put a single in before you launch. You can always shake it out. The old saying still holds: "if your thinking about it, its probably time to do it".
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Craig Weis

Reefing is a pain in the keester. But the skipper must know how to reef the sail in. One guy I know has a dizzying array of lines to reef from the cockpit. I was never so confused in my life as a 'guest for ballast' on this sailor's boat.

I sail her loose and let the wind spill out. Always with a firm hand on the sheet.
BUT if your reefing, reef before you leave the dock or harbor. Reefs can always be shaken out once at sea.
skip.