a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Weight

Started by danrameys, March 14, 2010, 02:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danrameys

Just wondering what the typical weight is for anchors on a 16. I have a 6lb Danforth with 15  feet of chain on mine and somewhere in my garage is a 10lb anchor. I just don't know if I need something as large as 10 for such a small boat.

Dan

Craig Weis

A 6 lb Danforth will do fine.

skip.

nies

I have used a 6 pound Danforth for years, the length / scope is as important, if more so, than the weight. I use to have a anchor heavier than the boat, just gave me back strain and large dings in the hull................as Skip said "A 6 lb. Danforth will do fine."......................Phil

NateD

My 4lb Danforth knockoff with 4' of chain has held well in sand and river muck with winds 10-20 knots and 2-3 foot chop without any problem. As nies says, scope is important. If I have the room I like to let out as much as possible. I plan to pickup a larger claw anchor for rocky bottoms and to use as a backup.

danrameys

I am glad that the 6 should work, i get nervous about trusting that little piece of metal to keep me sleeping safe and sound. Plus it isnt coated and looks far more nautical on the roller than the rubber covered one.

what is the standard weight on  other 16s?

dan