a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boom vang

Started by brackish, December 28, 2009, 05:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

I've had a boom vang on my CP23 for years.  No traveller yet.

My vang is a bit further out than 45 degrees.  Further out is less stress on the boom.  45 degrees minimizes stress on the fittings.

Use a boom bail, through bolted right through the whole boom.  If you use a padeye it is near impossible to get a backing plate that far into the boom and without a backing plate the stress of a boom vang or a mid boom traveller would pull out a padeye fairly quickly whether rivited or bolted in.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

zc6840

Hi All, I notice you all seem to be using metal bails at the boom end of your vangs. On my CP 16 I drilled a hole through the boom to give me the 45 degree angle and then went to the pet shop and for 5 dollars bought a heavy duty nylon dog leash complete with  a strong snap able to swivel 360 degrees.Using a hot iron I cut a length of the leash the same length as your metal bail would measure and burned a hole in each end for the bolt. One end of the strap was put through the "O" ring of the metal snap and this nylon sling was then bolted to the boom and the snap connected to the boom end of the vang. At the mast end I used a strong pad eye  screwed through tapped holes to 1 1/2" length of aluminum rod.This is slid into the mast groove through the bolt rope slot  and screwed tightly in place at the appropriate height to maintain your 45 degree angle. The mast end of the vang is then fastened to the pad eye. Why did I take this route to install a vang? Because when it comes time to roller furl the main,I only have to unsnap the vang at the boom and the flexible nature of my dog leash allows me to furl the sail with only a bump where the "leash " is on the boom. Have encountered no safety concern. Whe UV light gets to the nylon sling ,I will cut myself another length of dog leash. Perhaps other CP16 owners can use this cheap and simple vang attachment system while retaining the roller furling feature of their boats. Fair winds,RTH.

Tim Gardner

And what, pray tell, did you do with the dog?  The BUMP may be more than the leash?

All Kidding aside - Great idea for those that wish to reduce sail area by roller furling on the boom.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Craig Weis

So the dog leash vang is NOT adjustable in length?

curtisv

RTH,

Innovative.  I have to give you that.  I'll stick with the metal bail and slab reefing.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access