a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Built In cooler

Started by Salty19, December 09, 2009, 02:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Salty 19, a wise choice I believe. While Yeti's are expensive, I think the build process may have cost quite a bit and may not have come out right, particularly as you noted, the location.

After a three month search and evaluation period, I ended up buying a Yeti 50 Sherpa for my 23.  Because Hutchins redesigned the 23/IV with a different companionway step configuration which allows better installation of electronics and panel, the clear height in that area was lowered significantly.  The Sherpa, originally designed as a drop in for river raft gear frames was the only reasonably sized multiple day cooler that had a low enough profile to fit the area.  It clears by about .050".  When I heard that the Sherpa was going to be discontinued, I bought one immediately.

I considered two Yeti Roadie 25's, with the handles removed, one for dry ice with replacement ice and one for the actual food, but that concept was cost prohibitive.

At any rate, I think you will like the Yeti.  It really does do a good job of keeping ice serviceable for a long period of time.

I'll probably put a drain hose to the bilge on mine also.  will allow it to be cleaned on board rather than having to take it out all the time.  It is rather heavy when compared to other coolers of comparable capacity.

Salty19

Brackish..sounds like we came to the same conclusion to go with YETI.   No question they are not cheap, however in this case the quality is insanely high and it should last a lifetime with much better performance than the $50 coolers.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Potcake boy

Salty19,

Bought a heavy duty Igloo from West Marine, I believe it is 25 quart.  It fits the area all the way forward on the cabin sole perfectly.  It is secure, easy to get to, and easily removed for whatever purpose.  It's location is the best opton for weight distribution.   I cover it with my fleece sleeping bag during the day and it will keep ice for three days in the Florida heat.  You can leave it off the boat when not needed (we don't have a ton of extra room on these 19s).

Buying it at the store and bringing it home was much easier and probably cost comparative to building one.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Salty19

PCB--A cooler that can hold ice for 3 days in FL is pretty darn good!   I suspect the Yeti will go a week up here in Ohio except in the peak of summer, what with the clouds and cool water. 

I ran a test in the living room.  At average 69 degrees, the Yeti 35 kept a half gallon container of ice for 11 days before the ice was 100% melted.There was no sun exposure and opened the cooler once a day for a few seconds to check the ice.  Had it about 1/2 full of pre-cooled beer.  At day 11 the beer was still cold.  Obviously this was a poor test for the real world of a hot boat interior and don't expect the performance to be that good in the real world.

The cover for it came out just OK....decided to sew it myself since the admiral was procrastinating.  Got 75% of it done perfectly but the last 25%..not so much! 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kchunk

QuoteObviously this was a poor test

Especially if you think I'm going to open the cooler once a day for A beer!  8)

We have a big ole Igloo marine cooler. I think it was rated 5-day or 7-day. Last summer, in July, I had the family (four of us) on the boat for four days, three nights down in the Keys. On the 4th day pulling into our destination, the melt water was still cold enough for the beer to be drinkable. Now this was using about 50lbs of ice cubes and with two kids that have little or no regard for conserving power nor ice.

I'd call that a real world extreme test. I was quite happy with the result.

--Greg