a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

horizon advice

Started by kickingbug1, December 15, 2009, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

if i ever move up from my cp16 i am considering a horizon cat. i viewed the company movie showing how easy it is to rig. since i will always be trailer sailor i was wondering if it is really that easy. also how do those buggers do to windward.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kobo

Kickingbug1,

I live on the Gulf Coast on Mobile Bay. I have sailed professionaly for years. I now sail for pleasure. I have owned several sail and power boats. My sail boats were always kept in a slip and to be hauled out at a boatyard. Thsi past April I purchased a Horizon Cat. I bought this boat for several reasons. One of the main ones is that in this area we tend to have a few hurricanes and tropical storms. (katirna flooded my home) I was tried of having to worry about my home and my boat in a slip every time a storm approached. I can't move my home but I sure wanted to be able to move my boat. Thus I bought the Horizon Cat. I could not be happier. The boat is a snap to launch and reterive. The mast tender seystem is great. I keep my boat in a slip. However now when a storm comes or I just want to go sail another location I simply put her on the trailer and move on. Now to the best part. This boat is the eaisest to sai boat I have ever owned. She is quite easy to single hand and she is very seaworthy and comfortable. Plenty of cockpit room and the cabin area and amenities are quite comfortable. I purchaed mine with the diesel inboard. I really like having the inboard engine. It has a lot of power and will go over 200 miles on 7 gallons of fuel. Plus it gives the boat a lot more stability. You are also absolutely right. These boats do look "Damn Good" on the water under power or sail. I can't tell you how many compliments I get every time I take her out. In regards to sailing down wind, recently I took "Deja Vue" out in 15 to 20 knot winds. The sail out was a beat to windward. The return sail was a down wind run. She sailed very well. I was impressed with the response and how fast we were going. If you would like further info or just want to chat about my experiences with this wonderful boat you can e-mail me.
Kobo (aka Capt Mike)

gmerrill

kobo capt mike

my name is greg merrill i live and work in hattiesburg ms but have a condo in perdido key
i have an 07 legacy and do my sailing in the bays perdido and pensacola.  i would love to get together
with someone with some experience as i hope to learn how to navigate and do some coastal selling.
my wife sails with me but my teenagers think i'm square.  love my legacy but hope to move up when this economy moves up

my email is gregsauto@bellsouth.net my bus# is 601-261-3325

look forward to hearing from you
greg

Greene

Greg,

We have a condo by Perdido Key (Phoenix East and Phoenix X) as well.  We might be part time neighbors.  We spent Christmas down there this year with my entire family. It is a beautiful area which we hope to retire to in the future.  I haven't had a chance to do any sailing down there so I'd love to hear about your experiences there.  Are there good inland sailing bays/lakes or do you go to the gulf?

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

gmerrill

capt mike

we are  at shipwatch on the bayside.  we have our own launch and boatslips.  we're on ole river and for my legacy
the sailing is find unless the wind is in your face it takes a while to get out of the river.  but i do sail some in the perdido
and pensacola bay.  i was advise against going out in the gulf at my experience level but wouldn't be afraid to try with someone
with experience. hey it's great to know you're just down the road hope we can get together and do some sailing

greg
legacy