a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Okie Engineering

Started by OkieBob, December 16, 2009, 01:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

I noticed that the CP-19, 'Wind Rover' factory built without a bow sprit DID NOT need an a new fwd stay when the new bow sprit was fitted because the 10" or so long bow sprit came up to meet the tang of the fwd stay at the end of the bow sprit. Just worked out that way. Then of course the dolphin came with a turnbuckle in it's length so that was no problem to pull tention.
Note the boom 'crutch'. Cheap and works well. A piece of cable and four U-bolt clamps, a ringed quick disconnect and a little PVC tape. Don't forget to release the boom vang and the boom's sheet prior to lifting the boom to unclamp once the sail is up.
Those are Wal-Mart pool noodles in blue.
This boat is equipped with radar and still has the four purchase side by side boom sheet block that simply does not work and keeps twisting up making it hard to sheet out at times. I changed my boat over to four purchase in-line block. No twisting.

Captain Rank. Happy as a clam
.[/color] [/center]
W.B.S. Without 'Bow Sprit'.

skip.

newt

Traditonally, a cutter staysail (which is what you guys are really ending up with) is handled by running backstays to keep the mast from flexing. On a small mast like what is on our Compacs, i see that as a real problem. We probably all know there are two ways of handling lots of weather helm: weaken the main or increase the strength of the jib. If it gets too blustery, I aways reef the main and the jib, just maybe the main a little more.
OkieBob- how long have you had your little Compac? An old salt once gave me a bit of advice that I have since found to be true: First sail the boat.  I make it a rule of thumb not to do anything (but safety repairs) to a used boat until I have sailed her for at least one season. See what the original designers had in mind- then if you want to modify her, you can tell if the modification had made her better or worse. In the end, it may make sense just to get a different boat. (My CP-23 for example, came with a bowspirit from the manufactures.)
Now that may not be what you want to hear....but it would have saved me thousands of $$ if I would have listened earlier.

nies

Everyone keeps talking about the weather helm on CP16, never had that problem on my 16 ,because early on kept moving the angle of the mast aft until just enough weather helm for sailing safety. You can move jib triangle forward to help correct weather helm also. After finding right mast angle never needed to adjust again......... moving the angle of the mast aft worked for me..........Phil

adifferentdrummer

I never had the weather helm problem with my CP16, either. I tinkered with adjustments to the standing rigging the first few times out until I got it tensioned to a point that made sense to me, and it has sailed like a champ all season. It points better than what I hear reported from many other 16 owners and exhibits just a healthy amount of weather helm; I wouldn't want any more or any less. I guess I just got lucky.

Milt

Salty19

I say scrap the cutter idea and go with a single large genoa with a 7/8 rigged forestay and NACA 0012 shaped rudder. 

With the furler you can take the huge sail area up or down as weather dictates.  I just don't think there is enough room on a 16 there to make a cutter worthwhile plus you have to figure out a way to control the sheets.  That's just me. I like to modify and improve my boat but this mod seems to be a little too much for such a small boat.

As for changing the mast height, I wouldn't do this mainly because it won't buy you much.  The keel and hull shape can only take so much power before the rail is in the water.  With new sails and a NACA0012 shaped foil rudder, you too will be putting the rail underwater.  Your experience is clouded because your boat has worn out sails and probably feels slow because it is slow.  With new sails and a rudder your boat will feel very sporty in comparison.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

Okie-  How are your projects coming along so far?? 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

speaking of modifications, i know others on the site have added bowsprits to their cp16-1s. this would enable one to have a masthead rig and a much larger jib. i wonder if this would cause a cp16-1 to heel excessively given its lack of centerboard?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig Weis

An added bow sprit and excess heeling over?

NOPE!
But the one and only time I ever put my cockpit combing into the water and had water roll over into the cockpit and out the scupper of my C-P 19 was on a 155% head sail lapper. Main sail was lashed to the boom.

Took me years of trying before I was successful at this. The picture here is that day and the 'crew' was my sister-in-law. We were sailing at the point where the Fox river dumps into the 'cut' through Sturgeon Bay, heading right puts you in Lake Michigan, about 7 miles away. Have to find the photos...

Crew is coming down the pier for an afternoon on the water.

On the water, head sail only. Very nice out.

At last put the rail down this after noon. A little burrrrr!

Crew committed suicide two years ago. skip.

kchunk

Quote from: kickingbug1 on January 26, 2010, 08:15:53 PM
   speaking of modifications, i know others on the site have added bowsprits to their cp16-1s. this would enable one to have a masthead rig and a much larger jib. i wonder if this would cause a cp16-1 to heel excessively given its lack of centerboard?

I kinda agree with skip on this one. Excessive healing is not necessarily a function of how much canvas you have up but rather more so of how your sails are trimmed. What I mean is even without a masthead rig and a larger jib, in the right wind, you can still trim the sails in a way that will result in excessive healing. The advantage of the larger sail will be in light winds. If the wind pipes up you'll need to ease your sail trim, reef and/or change sails.

--Greg

B.Hart

The admiral does not enjoy excessive healing, so I have learned that the 16 will sail just as fast without a lot of healing, and it is more comfortable than hanging on.    my 2 cents   BILL

Bob23

Seems that the 23 and 16 share the same basic hull shape while the 19 has a flatter bottom. My 23 seems to like at least 10 degrees of heel; I'd imagine the 16 is about the same. The 19, however, is designed to sail flatter. I'm not a designer or engineer so, take this with a grain of saltwater.
Bob23

Craig Weis

Bob23 the 19 does and was designed to sail it's best at as flat a heel as possible.
It's the fastest when upright. So 'they' say. The 16 and 23 share same designers I think. I do know the 19 had a different designer and that the hull shape was tank tested in a NASA facility.

skip.

Tim Gardner

The 19 hull was designed by Bob Johnson of Island Packet fame.  HenryC interviewed him for GOB a while back.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.