Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat trailer hubs

Started by graham, January 04, 2010, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham

Hi
I have a 2004 Suncat with a Performance trailer. Does anyone know where I can buy new hubs for the trailer?

tmolik

try the internet for trailer hubs.
tom

Glenn Basore

I went to my local boat repair shop and bought new hubs (for my 2006 performance trailer) complete with bearings all ready to go for $65.00 each.

I kepted the old hubs and bearing. once they were cleaned up I repacked the bearings / hubs.

I now have a spare set all ready to go if needed.

I carry a "trailer box" (those plastic bin type with lid) in my tow vehicle with every thing I need to make a trailer repair if I break down on the road some place.

I think my bearing size is 1-1/16" or may be 1-1/8", cant remember.

the hub is a 5 lug at 4-1/2" on stud center.

brackish

I've used these people before.  Great to work with.

www.championtrailers.com

kickingbug1

gotta say i think the hubs are pretty standard---take an old one to a good auto parts store and i think they will be able to fix you up
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig Weis

Buy new hubs? Why? Take out the cotter pin. Unscrew the the nut, pull off the washer with the tang that slides down the spindle's groove, pop out the outer bearing, pull off the wheel and hub. Pop out the inner bearing and the seal. The spindle can't be bad can it? Rust doesn't matter. Just emery cloth the rust away.

The hub is the standard Ford 5"~5 bolt pattern so if you want a larger wheel for that bolt pattern then go to the bone yard and find a pair of wheels and tires from a Ford Pinto, Maverick, Topaz, or other 13" rims.
The problem you'll find is that the car tire will most likely have a lesser load rating then the smaller 10" trailer tire supplied by Performance. So check that load rating...and since these 10" rims have been hot dipped galvanized you'll find rim leaks so to combat that I installed 10" tubes in my rims and tires. I got tired of airing up my trailer tires after every winter storage for my C-P 19.

I did upgrade my 1970 Ford Maverick to the optional 14" rims supplied by Ford [Simpson Wheel Company] before taking delivery. Brand new, Vermilion Orange, Package tray under the dash, Big in-line 200 cuin  [not 160 cuin] 6 cylinder, Auto, with rugs not rubber floor mats. $1,950.00 zero miles, Glenbrook Ford. Even entered a drawing and won a coo-coo clock.. Those were the days. I loved that car.

skip.

bmiller

What is the issue with the current hubs?

graham

The hubs were damaged by the trailer repair shop who changed the outer races. Thanks for all the good suggestions, I have found a supplier on line.

Craig Weis

Well there graham~Swabbie, you just can't walk away.

"The Great Karnac" holds the envelope up to the turbine and asks:

"How the heck can two hubs be damaged by removing a simple race?"

Karnic awaits ripping open the envelope.

The outer bearing and hence the outer race don't carry the weight.
Should tap right out from the back side of the hub.

skip.

kchunk

sailingtexas.com is a great web site. A lot of info there...even if you're not from Texas.

Here's a How-to on repacking trailer bearings complete with video. The guy talks nice and slow too.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Movies/TrailerBearings/trailerbearings.html

--Greg

graham

Skip, it's hard to believe that someone who works in a trailer shop could do so much damage! He damaged the hubs with his removal technique then decided to try and clean up all the gouge marks with a grinder, now the grease caps no longer fit. I didn't know what he was doing in his workshop. Why did we get into this situation? The answer is we had just purchased the boat in St Louis Missouri and were 2200 miles from home (Vancouver Island). We trailered the boat home with no issues ,however, I like things to be right and that is why the hubs are going to be changed.

Craig Weis

I agree, if they ain't right don't roll. And ahhhh what kind of boat was it?

Dust cap fit, may have been 'fixed' by dimpling on the inside of the machined area that the cap sides into with a sharp center punch all the way around the 360 deg circumference. To tighten up the radius around the collar of the dust cap for a nice press fit.

I suppose it was some kid who was 'praticing' on the trailer hub. Fix by grinding is crazy, probably nothing wrong with the hubs in the first place. No need to R&R the bearing.

If in the future you see anyone washing a bearing out this a solvent and blow gun drying stop them right away. NEVER was out a bearing, simply HAND pack the grease in and never rely on a greasing machine to properly pack a bearing that ought to be hand packed. Just push in more grease after a light wiping. On our Performance Trailers we are blessed with that zerk that allows us to pump in the grease. Do it till you see the rubber dust cap move from pushed-in grease like nies said above.

When Butch Norris and I had to rebuild our newly purchased piece of junque press, a 500 ton BLiss, new bearing sleeves needed to be fitted to the crank. A careful measuring showed we were a wee bit small in bearing thickness and the race needed to be dimpled behind the bearing sleeves with a punch to push the bearing insert tighter to the shank on the primary crankshaft of the press.  We bought her used and was like this one in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_xZhsxM-8

A couple of years later, we had a oriental gal working the press who got mad at 'boss man' Floyd Norris, Butches dad and placed a 2" bar stock in the die and hit the palm buttons. Down she came and stopping on the die and shearing off the flywheel from the crankshaft driven end.

The flywheel fell to the wooden block shop floor and rolled about five foot before falling over. No one was killed, she walked out the door almost before the wheel fell over. Never saw her again. I don't think anyone was prosecuted. That was the same day the Space Shuttle blew up on launch and Sharon Christa McAuliffe fed the fish. That was more than 25 years ago. That was a heck of a mess to fit a new crankshaft to our old press.
skip.

nies

Guys, watched video ......I have always filled cavity with grease, helps to keep water out....may be over kill, but you can have water around the axel or grease. I would rather have grease, grease is cheap............if there isn't grease in the area,if you have a greaseable hub your grease will be used to fill cavity.......fill the area ...........Phil