a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

E-Marine Solar Panels

Started by ciswindell, July 27, 2011, 03:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciswindell

I installed an all new electrical system in my CP23 that included LED lights inside and out, Blue Sea breaker panel, 2 Trojan T105 batteries (225ah), stereo, fan, accessory outlets, and n 65 watt Kyocera solar panel mounted on the stern rail.  This has pretty much given me endless power.  Last week I went on a four day sailing trip and never ran out of power. 

However, the reason for posting on this section is that I purchased the solar panel from E-Marine Systems and I was surprised in a good way on every aspect.  First of all I purchased the solar panel as a scratch and dent for $200 that is normally $325.  The corner of the frame was barely bent and it in no way affected the performance.  That is a great deal!  The other way that I was surprised is that they reviewed my order and called me the same day that I ordered to verify that I was getting the correct mounts.  I had ordered the 1 inch and 7/8 inch mounts because I was unsure which ones I needed.  When my order arrived, I only received the 1 inch mounts which were the wrong size for the boat.  So the third way that I was surprised is that they quickly responded and sent the correct mounts with expedited shipping.  Wow...for an online retailer they have excellent service and I highly recommend this company.

http://www.emarineinc.com/

Chris

skip1930

" 65 watt Kyocera solar panel " Just courious. How many amps is 65 watts at what voltage [14v-18v or so?].

skip.

ciswindell

Not really sure.  However, I have 2 Trojan T-105 and the solar panel.  It kept everything I wanted running for a 4 day cruise which included interior lights, anchor light, fan, stereo, cell phones, etc.

Shawn

Skip,

To figure out the amperage you use ohm's law.

Current = power(watts)  divided by voltage

The panel itself likely puts out around 18 volts.

So 65/18 is 3.6 amps.

The charge controller will convert the voltage to about 14v so 65/14 = 4.64 amps not considering the efficiency of the charge controller.

Shawn