a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

In Hull Transducer

Started by kobo, March 14, 2010, 07:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kobo

I am attempeting to install a Hawkeye Depth Gauge with an in hull transducer. I am having trouble getting the in hull transducer to work. I cannot get any readings. It works when hung over the side. Does anyone have any experience with in hull transducers or any suggestions?

doug

I have experience with the uniden -- likely the same transponder. I know the first couple of times I placed the transponder and I was never certain why (I also hung it over the side and got perfectly good readings. Ultimately i found the main problem was the angle of the transponder. Once I got it angled correctly (using mineral oil ) it worked just fine -- at least until the depths exceed 90 feet or so, then I no longer get good readings, but at that rate i no longer need them. Since I sale on the Chesapeake Bay, depth (or local knowledge) is essential.

Craig Weis

Try under the vee birth, midsips, about 6 inches in front of the keel, when looking at the keel from under neath.
I understand your attempting to shoot through the hull's fiberglass matt. Good luck with that. May have to find a thinner hull area.
skip.