a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Watermaker deal

Started by Shawn, April 03, 2010, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Probably not of interest to most but if anyone is planning on longer term saltwater cruising an ebayer has been selling surplus Pur Survivor 35 manual watermakers for cheap. These are $2000 at West Marine and Defender and surplus units, some unused some used, have typically been going for $300-$500 on ebay for a long time.

He is selling them for $165 buy it now. The one I received looks like it was never used. I haven't opened it up to inspect the membrane yet. If that needs to be replaced that is about $300.

Shawn

Craig Weis

Where I sail [the largest collection of fresh water on the planet] I can just dip the canteen into the water about 80 foot off shore and drink the water straight up. If I was in the salt I would definitely have one of those osmosis water filters for when the whale knocks off the keel of my sail boat and we need to grab the 'Didi Mau" bag and hit the raft.

They are pricey. Sounds like a good deal. skip.

newt

Would you really drink Great Lakes water? I guess you are braver than I am...

Craig Weis

Yes I'll drink the water. I know that the M/S Ryerson fills her crew drinking water with 22,000 gallons everytime she steams through Lake Superior hauling steel oar.

BAR BET: Interesting enough...take all the water on the face of the earth and place it into a 55 gallon drum. Take a five gallon pail of water out of the drum. That 5 gallon pail equals all of the non-salt water. Take one teaspoon out of that pail and that equals all the water that is fit to drink without treatment. Or most of the Great Lakes.

BAR BET: Now that the 5 miles of ice has melted away over that last 3 million or so years from the last ice age, the soil is rebounding, making it appear that the water is going down, when actually the land is coming up. But the Great Lakes do loose about an inch a week do to evaporation. Good thing it rains once in a while.

BAR BET: The oldest water on the face of the earth is North of The Boundary Waters in Canada. A 10,300,000 hectares paradise of water and islands called Quetico Provincial Park. We were lucky enough to be permitted into the park for 12 days canoing with The John and Mary Daloum Environmental Education Center, out of Jackson, Michigan.

Bar Bet: The only thing that has effected the earth's orbit around the sun is the weight of the water held in reservoirs. We wobble through space a wee bit differently.

skip.

kahpho

Quote from: skip on April 04, 2010, 09:51:13 PM
Yes I'll drink the water. I know that the M/S Ryerson fills her crew drinking water with 22,000 gallons everytime she steams through Lake Superior hauling steel oar.

skip.

I wouldn't be supprised they fill their tanks this way, but I'd be some supprised if they didn't treat it before drinking it. There were still places we would drink right out of the river, lake or stream when I was growing up, but not anymore. I'm with Newt, you're a braver man then I am.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

jkat

I've vacationed on Michigan's Keweenaw Penninsula (Lake Superior) for years.  Many cottage owners forego drilling wells an instead draw water from the lake.  At the start of each season a resident will walk fifty feet out into the lake and bury a well point about 1 1/2 feet into the sandy lake bottom.  Water is drawn from there and routed back to the cottage via flexible tubing.  The whole deal is then removed at the end of the season.
The water is excellent.

jkat