a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sweet Little Sixteen... New owners of a CP16/1

Started by Vic S., August 19, 2010, 11:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic S.

We finally got our newly acquired CP16 launched this week. It's been a long haul. The family had a Grampion 22 that broke its mooring and wrecked. Next came an ODay 23 that I never really warmed up to. I found it too big and felt isolated from the water. After the motor was stolen right off the boat I was ready to give up owning a boat. We gave it to Northeast sailboat rescue in Maine and while there I saw this CP16 sitting on a trailer begging me to take it home. After the torture of trying to get the trailer registered here in Mass we finally succeeded. Hopefully we'll get to sail for a couple of months if October's weather cooperates.

This site has been a wealth of info, I've already upgraded the rudder to a foil one before we even launched it. One question I have is how do you know when it's time for new sails? Our boat has the originals from 1984 and they are in great shape but I've read that over time sails stretch out and become less efficient. Can you tell by looking at them if they are stretched to a point that they need replacing?

Bob23

Hi Vic and welcome!
   My 1985 23/2 also has the original sails and they look great but they are not. Over time, the sail stretches and looses it's shape thus resulting in less than stellar performance, especially to windward. But, being a professional cheapskate, I'm choosing to continue using my oldies because they move the boat just fine. One alternative is to send your sails to Sailcare where they specialize in reconditioning old sails. I sent mine there after my first season, they came back crispy and clean and remained that way for a few years. It's not a permanent solution but a good way to get a bit more life out of old sails. Check www.sailcare.com
   I suppose when they start to show tears and the like, it's time. My sailing expertise is not to the point that I can look at a sail and determine that it should be replaced by it's misshape. After you Mass trailer torture, and considering the season is short, just enjoy your new boat. Maybe new sails this winter if you're not happy with Sweet Little Sixteen's performance.
   We look forward to some posts from you about your sailing adventures!
Bob23 in NJ

Glenn Basore

Welcome to our group.........

As to the sails, I think when they no longer have the crispness to them they are pretty well warn.

I agree with Bob, just sail for a while, sails are costly.

Glenn B.

lostsailor101

Hi Vic,

This is a great site with tons of information...I think I have read every post at least twice...Fyi I just posted new sail prices from National Sail...They seem to be highly recommended on this site. Congradulations on your 16.

best regards,

Michael

kickingbug1

i paid three bills for a new main (rolly tasker) from national sail supply and i am more than happy. my 16 points much better and powers up while tacking better than ever. a friend of mine also has tasker sails on his 16. i can never seem to catch that guy. i suspect pilot error on my part , welcome to the site by the way
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Vic S.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.   I was actually quoting a Chuck Berry song lyric for the message title, we plan to name the boat 'Kiwi' to remind us of the wonderful vacation we had in New Zealand this year.
Bob, thanks for the link to Sailcare. I never realized that sails had resin embedded in them. I'll probably get them restored this winter and see if I notice an improvement in performance. Frankly as long as the boat moves at all in the wind then I'm a happy camper.  I even enjoy just sitting in the boat while tied up at the mooring watching the harbor activity. It's such a relief not to have to pay a boatyard to store the boat as we had to do for the ODay 23. The 3 years we didn't sail in the ODay cost us more in storage fees than we paid for the CP16, trailer and engine combined.

Are there any other Cape Ann ( MA ) CP16 owners out there? I've seen a couple moored in Salem harbor this week but haven't spied any around Gloucester.

golfxj6

Good Morning: I have had difficulty posting, but here's another try. After many years with Bristols (29.9 and 31.1) we bought a CP 16 about six weeks ago, launched her in Gloucester Harbor two weeks ago. We are docked at the Barn, west side of Smith's Cove. Hull is dark blue, "Lilyput" on the stern in honor of the world's greatest dog, Lily the designer mutt.

I have appreciated the info and camaraderie on the site. Happy fall sailing to all.

Golfxj6

Vic S.

Welcome Golfxj6

What year is your boat? Maybe we'll see you sailing around on the weekends. We hope to keep going out through mid October. Our boat is moored off Ten Pound, white hull, no name on the transom yet but she'll be 'Kiwi' next year. I envy your sheltered location, we lost a 22 ft sailboat in October 2003 to a strong westerly wind  from our current mooring.

Fair winds and happy sailing,

Vic S.

lostsailor101

Golfxj6

welcome....enjoy your CP16....great little boat.

golfxj6

Vic, Lilyput is a 1980 in very nice condition. I'll be in Maine this weekend, but next weekend we'll look around Ten Pound Island for the Kiwi to be.

chrisolavitch

Enjoy your boat!  My little boat is changing my life!  We've owned a Hunter 235 for 5 years and sailed her maybe 8 hours.  My 1976 Com-pac 16 "Soulshine" has already been in the water more in 5 months than the Hunter in 5 years.  I love these boats.  Lots of fun and easy to learn on.  This is also a fantastic site for information.  Really helpful folks.  Welcome!