a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

D.I.Y. Outboard Shifter

Started by nies, October 17, 2009, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nies

IN THE SEPTEMBER 2009 SAIL MAGAZINE, PAGE 62, PROJECTS (BOAT WORKS) A SHIFTER EXTENSION FOR A EASE OF SHIFTING A SMALL H.P. OUTBOARD ON A SAIL BOAT. I MODIFIED THE IDEA SHOWN FOR MY 5 H.P. AND CP 16.....WORKS GREAT AND WILL BE WAITING FOR ACTUAL WATER TEST IN SPRING. MAY WANT TO TAKE A LOOK........NIES

jamato323

Hey Nies
Couldn't see shifter at Sail Mag's online site and since I don't subscribe to it, I sure would appreciate your posting a picture if you have one. Would keep my butt from getting sunburned as I lean over stern to shift in tight quarters.
Thanks
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Craig Weis

Yep, me too NIES. Outboardshifter. Although I'm not too concerned about 'butt crack' showing...
skip

nies

SORRY, BUT UNTIL MY TWELVE YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER SHOWS TO SHOW HER GRANDFATHER HOW TO POST, I AM CLUELESS. I WENT TO THE WEB SITE AND COULD NOT FIND IT EITHER. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE WHO GETS SAIL MAGAZINE COULD POST OR FIND IT ON THEIR WEB SITE.  SKIP MAYBE "NORGING" OUR POWER BOAT FRIENDS WILL KEEP THEM A SAFE DISTANCE FROM OUR SAIL BOATS, ............NIES

Craig Weis

"NORGING"? What's norging...let me Goggle it. Be right back.
Well still no help. You'll have to explain. I'm just not hip.

NIES Opps you mean LORE?? Not LURE
skip.

nies

SKIP, ON THE OLD SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, A SKIT WHERE TWO GUYS WERE TAKING A NORGE REFRIG. UP A SET OF STAIRS AND THE DELIVERY MENS REAR VIEW WAS A VERY LARGE CRACK, THUS THE TERM "NORGE" WENT INTO URBAN LORE......PHIL .............            CORRECTION SO NOTED SKIP

Craig Weis

I'm sorry but I can't watch SNL without yelling at the screen. Way too liberal for me. Butt crack or not.
Oh I see well I think I watched it once at Rusty Cobb's party in H.S. and that was enough for me. Never watched it again, nies.
skip.

nies

SKIP, THAT WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO WHEN SNL WASNT LIBERAL BUT FUNNY. I HAVENT WATCH IN YEARS.....PHIL

nies

Finally had a chance to try out my outboard shifter I constructed this winter, works great and makes it so much easier to operate the motor, on Sail Mag,s web site under Boatworks ,search ,type in D.I.Y. OUTBOARD SHIFTER and it has finally shown up...................modified my version slightly to work on my motor.............recommend to all.................................Phil

Billy

Shifter??? You guys talking about reverse?
My kickers only go in reverse if you turn the motor around backwards.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

nies

Billy, you really should get a motor with reverse, will make your life happier.................Phil

kahpho

Ohhh shit, you turn the motor around...  (slapping self upside the head) ;)

never mind.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Billy

Nies,
It is definitely a luxury, however, aluxury I cannot afford. I'm saving up for the IDA rudder. But reverse would be nice. Not so much that I hate turning the kicker around but that split second when the motor is sideways. OR when the motor turns and pulls out the safety harness. Especially because I only need reverse when I'm coming in the dock a little too hot.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Here's a DIY shifter made of scrap starboard.  I used a 1/4" wide, 1 1/2" long SS bolt, finishing washer and two locknuts inside to secure it.  Still does not hold itself up well, so I suggest using lockwashers on both side of the extension.   For now I just hold it my hand ready to shift when docking.  It's not necessary if you're good shape, but my back hates it when I stretch backwards in this type of motion.

I just made the design on the computer, printed it out, cut out the outline and traced it on starboard.  Works fine, or should I say will work fine once the lockwashers are installed.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603