Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headroom in a Horizon

Started by butterchurn, November 24, 2010, 12:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butterchurn

I was wondering what the headroom was in a Horizon? I am 6'1"

Would it be a good boat for extended Great Lakes cruising?

CaptRon28

At 6'1" you ain't gonna stand up down there. It's got to be in the 5 foot range, plus or minus a few inches. Other than that, the 20 foot boat has a lot of room down below for a 20 footer. Other advantages include ease of rigging and launch. With one sail (normally resting on the boom), I can't think of a boat that size easier to rig. We're talking a few minutes, not hours here. And you don't need any help either. That's the main reason why I bought mine. Easy in, easy out. Plus it sails somewhat better than a gaf rigged cat boat should - thanks to the 600 pounds in the keel, a heavy stainless centerboard, and a foil type rudder. I've broken 6 1/2 knots on a reach, with decent pointing ability. If you want to go faster in a small boat, buy a trimaran. Whole different world, but it will take you well over an hour to launch and rig it. I can probably go further in a few hours on the 6 knot cat boat considering it's quick launch and rig time.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

skip1930

"I was wondering what the headroom was in a Horizon? I am 6'1"

Would it be a good boat for extended Great Lakes cruising
?"

Well extended...what's that mean? All summer.
You could do it but it would be uncomfortable and I'd like a faster hull.
Got to get there before it's time to get back.

skip.

capt_nemo

According to some of the "Old Salts" literature and some contemporary designers, far too much importance was, and has been to this day, placed on "headroom", particularly "standing headroom" or anything that approached it. This "importance" flies in the face of various compromises that a designer must necessarily make in order to achieve this goal, especially in smaller boats. We're talking about such things as cabin height, cabin sole position relative to keel type and shape, visibility forward from cockpit, cabin height and length in proportion to LOD and overall hull length, overall asthetics, and other considerations as well.

Take a look at a variety of small boatbuilding plans to see just what influence "headroom" can have on overall design.

The sage "Old Salts" suggest that, if all, or most of the "other things" about a (small) boat seem "Right" in most eyes, then all that is really required is COMFORTABLE SITTING HEADROOM. The most successful designs out there seem to be those that achieved a good balance between the "other things" and available headroom.

In my opinion, the Horizon Cat, big sister to my own Sun Cat, definitely has more than adequate COMFORTABLE SITTING HEADROOM, as well as many other excellent features that make her a good "cruising" boat. Our shared "jiffy" rigging system is at the top of the excellent features list!