a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast tender

Started by mikec, October 05, 2009, 02:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec

I don't even have my boat yet but I am dreaming.  

Has anyone installed the mastender on their 16? If you have how did it go? Are you happy you did it? Was it difficult or expensive to do?

Thanks,

Mike C
Landlocked so far

Steve Ullrich

It might be nice, but I don't think I really need it.  The mast on my 16/3 is so light and easy to step that it really doesn't take much time anyhow.  I am in the water within twenty minutes of arriving at a ramp right now.  I did buy the quick release shroud tensioner forestay from Hutchins.  That tensions the rig in the throw of a lever and speeds up the process a lot.  I leave the main on the boom so threading the slugs into the mast is the slowest part of the process but even that doesn't take too long. 

Quote from: mikec on October 05, 2009, 02:27:49 PM
I don't even have my boat yet but I am dreaming.  

Has anyone installed the mastender on their 16? If you have how did it go? Are you happy you did it? Was it difficult or expensive to do?

Thanks,

Mike C
Landlocked so far

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Bob23

Of course the nice thing about the MastTender is that the sail stays on the boom which stays on the mast which is just lowered. Must be nice for going under low bridges...a gunkholers delight!
   I've mentioned it before, but I like the mast hinge that the Marshall Catboat folks use better than Compacs MastTender. I hope that's not heresy.
Bob23

kickingbug1

im with steve on this one. as simple as a cp16 is to rig (25 minutes) i dont know why you would want a mastender unless you like spending money.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

B.Hart

I'm with the group on this one, the 16 is a breeze to rig once you get a system.    BILL

nies

AHOY, CALLED HUTCHINS ABOUT QUICK RELEASE SHROAD/TENSIONER. FOR THE COST OF $150 BUCKS, DECIDED I COULD PUT A PIN IN AND OUT, SINCE I KEEP MY BOAT ON A LIFT I REALLY COULD NOT JUSTIFY THE COST FOR PUTTING THE MAST UP IN THE SPRING AND DOWN IN THE FALL. IF I HAD BRIDGES TO COPE WITH PROBABLY WOULD SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THE MAST TENDER OR THE QUICK RELEASE IF I WAS TRAILING TO WATER...........PHIL