a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

title problem

Started by jgalaxie, August 02, 2009, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgalaxie

hi, i bought 16 last year in pretty bad condition.  the guy who sold it to me was under house arrest and was going under cancer treatment at time, so i didn't want to pester him for the title which his wife said she had lost.  i got written recipt and went to dmv but they needed the title.  i worked on the boat for the last year and have only taken it out in lakes.  last week i called about title and they want $250 more.  any ideas, i cant find receipt.

tom t

FIRST, I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY.  I WILL SAY THAT WITH THAT RECIEPT THE BOAT BELONGS TO YOU.  PROABLY THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS TO HAVE AN ATTORNEY CALL THEM AND EXPLAIN THE CONSEQUENCES FOR NOT PROVIDING YOU WITH A TITLE.  THIS MAY WORK.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN ATTORNEY FRIEND GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT.  THIS MIGHT GET YOUR TITLE & SAVE ATTORNEY FEES.

TOM

robb_black

It really depends on where you live.  In Maryland, there is an abandoned boat law that allows you to claim ownership of an abandoned boat after certain conditions are met.  If your state has a similar law you might be able to take advantage of that?

Craig Weis

Pull the number off the hull and apply for the registration. Any problems have a local cop station run the number as if it were a stolen boat. It should come back to the house arrest fellow. Show your bill of sail and proof of payment, watch it. May have to pay the tax if not paid yet. You paid a dollar for it right? wink-wink. Tell 'em the boat has not seen water for X amount of years.