News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Have CP-16, need trailer, title, motor, sails, mast, boom, rigging, oars?

Started by JeffHoef1, May 14, 2009, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffHoef1

It all started 6 years ago, I saw this little boat hidden in the weeds at a salvage yard in Youngstown, Ohio.  I offered $100, and being distant cousins to the yard owner, he tried to get $200 out of me.  I finally paid $30 and there it sits in a trailer in my driveway.  I went to the BMV, and yes, it has an active title, but no, because of privacy concerns they can't tell me anything.  My wife and I are doing the big brother-sister thing and would love to have a boat to cruise Lake Milton on. The boat is named "The Tuppence" ABV01962M83116,  Ohio Watercraft OH 4268 XZ.  If someone has a wrecked or unusable boat and wants to sell the title vin plate, or if someone has irritable boat syndrome and needs the hull, that would be OK too.
                                                        Thank You, Jeff   (330) 770-8742

kickingbug1

just a piece of advice. i dont know what the law is in ohio but in illinois its illegal to buy a title or a vin number. i worked auto theft for a number of years and i know boats are considered as well. i dont want to see you get in a world of hurt. contact your sec of state office and see if you can obtain a salvage title for the boat. dont deface the hull number on the transom. explain the situation to whoever you talk to leaving out nothing (unless it was illegal to sell you the boat in the first place), and see if you can get a re-assigned title. just my two cents
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

JeffHoef1

I've got a letter started to Det. Walsh already, as many stolen cars I've found for the police here, I should be able to get a little help.  Beats just getting dumb looks from the BMV.  My idea was to combine 2 boats into 1, I did offer Erk the hull after the unfortunate tree accident, but he hasn't been on in months.  If the titled owner wants the boat, they can have it, but since I saw it sitting at the end of Cherry St. for 6 years, I'm pretty sure nobody else wants it.  They had already moved it and were going to landfill it.  It deserved better.  I also rescued 2 stray dogs, and have been a big brother for almost 17 years.  I always bring things home that cost me money.   Jeff

Erk

Good Golly! I would love that hull!  I didn't know I was contacted! I have been looking at my boat in the barn and can't tell you how much it pains me...

KPL

Do you still have the hull?  I've always thought a CP16 Hull would make a great little electric powered trawler/cruiser.  Replace some of the ballast with batteries.

Let me know, Ohio isn't too far to travel for the right price.

Kevin